8900 GTX, 65 nm, in September?

http://arstechnica.com/articles/pae...-highwire-the-geforce-8800-and-beyond.ars?bub

What are they trying to say here, are they saying the 8900 GTX will be at 65 nm and available this fall?

Product cycle and manufacturing process: next-gen GPUs on track for this fall

Hara began his talk at the recent JP Morgan analyst session by reiterating NVIDIA's commitment to a product cycle in which the high-end products come out each fall, and at the start of the next year, the midrange products follow, with the lower-end parts trailing later in the year. So at this point in the cycle, NVIDIA is addressing the lower end of the market while gearing up for another top-end refresh in the fall.

This fall will not only see the introduction of the next G80 derivative at the high end, but Hara also stated that the company will start to product its first 65nm GPUs. Moving its GPU line from 90nm to 65nm will bring NVIDIA to process parity with AMD/ATI (not that the 65nm feature size appears to have given the R600 any advantage in performance or power dissipation), and it will give the company the flexibility to increase either their performance or their profit margins, depending on how AMD/ATI's next-generation part fares.

brick88

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2006
or could be a g90. who knows. i would only suspect that nvidia would release a new high end part if and when ati surpasses the g80. otherwise they'd be competing with themselves from a performance perspective.

I agree with brick88 i think they are just lining it up for whem ati get the drivers right for the 2900s so they can push on again its as if they have one development ahead of ati in there pocket.
They prob are ready to ship them now but what would be the point as has already been said
Ati really have there work cut out to get back on terms,and i am probably what some on these forums would call" a bit of an ati fanboy "

The_Abyss

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
They prob are ready to ship them now but what would be the point as has already been said

The point would be, if they have developed the cards, to get a return on their investment as quickly as possible, and also to take advantage of a lower manufacturing cost.

Companies aren't satisfied any longer just to stay a bit ahead of the competition. If Nvidia had a 65nm 8900 available now, they would release it immediately.

Track

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
*This is just a rumour*

The 2900XT will NEVER beat the 8800 GTX. No matter how good the drivers get. Not to mention that nVidia has far superior drivers.

Will there be an 8900? Only if ATI can issue out another card, but it probably wont.

Will the 8900 be 65nm if its released? Probably.

brick88

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2006
under the same logic, nvidia would only be maximizing their investment in g80. the longer product cycle spreads the sunk cost in research and development along a longer period of time. if and when ati releases a refresh of r600 or a whole new arch that surpasses the g80's power will be when nvidia releases a refresh or new arch. the time that is afforded to them by ati's mistakes will allow them to refine their process to produce better yields and a wider range of products.

djgandy

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
Will the 8900 be 65nm if its released? Probably.

These guys could soon have Intel stepping on their toes. If Intel entered the graphics market using 65nm it would be a great start for them. Imagine if they could use 45nm.
Obviously they don't have as much experience in the area as nvidia or ATI but we all know what happened when AMD sat back and watched their processor crush the P4.
If I were nvidia i'd be conscious of what Intel could achieve and make it as hard as possible for them.

Track

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
Intel has enough partners to make a great GPU.

They probably will start with 65nm but they wont have anything against the 8800s until 2008-2009.

The point would be, if they have developed the cards, to get a return on their investment as quickly as possible, and also to take advantage of a lower manufacturing cost.

Companies aren't satisfied any longer just to stay a bit ahead of the competition. If Nvidia had a 65nm 8900 available now, they would release it immediately.

So you think that its a good idea to put something on the market that will take away sales from your flagship cards instead of holding them for a while and maxamising sales of the existing ones.
I dont pretend to be an expert on economics but it seems a bit premature.
Just to clear up the section you quoted what i meant (and it is just speculation on my part )is not that they have a shed full of boxed cards ready to go but the process in place to do so.sorry if i misslead you

Mactronix

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
Yes, It's a good idea.

1) The new card will be cheaper to manufacture on 65nm.
2) The total cards sold will increase since you can now sell to owners of existing high end cards.
3) You will be able to charge more for these cards than the existing cards or get more sales at the higher price point.

The key is to start rampiong down production of existing cards and up of the new card so you dont have a large inventory of the old card which must sell at the new price.

The GPU market is not one in which you can sit and wait because somebody else will come and steal your sales. It's almost a zero sum gaem.

Now, if we were talkng about something such as a Video Game, Lets call it BlowUpStuffExtreme, and it was a smash hit. Then the developer was able to produce BlowUpStuffExtremeII, it would not pay to release this until sales of the original tailed off. The reason is that there are very few costs in the continued sale of the old game compared to the sale price. Additionally, there is less threat that a competitor will release a game that makes their game in hold less desirable. Folks can buy both games. People will not buy multiple video cards for their system.

Gneisenau

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006

So you think that its a good idea to put something on the market that will take away sales from your flagship cards instead of holding them for a while and maxamising sales of the existing ones.
I dont pretend to be an expert on economics but it seems a bit premature.
Just to clear up the section you quoted what i meant (and it is just speculation on my part )is not that they have a shed full of boxed cards ready to go but the process in place to do so.sorry if i misslead you

Mactronix

I can see nVidia doing this if they feel the time is right to really put pressure on a rival. Sort of like kicking your rival when they are down. ATI was late to the game and so far hasn't had a lot of good reviews or good press. nVidia may feel they have the advantage to strike a greater blow to ATI and gain a greater market share.

Vash-HT

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2006
I think that if they have been developing an 8900, then they wouldn't hold back on it just because ATI isn't competing very well. From some of the comments on here people sound as if Nvidia will magically make the card once ATI brngs out something to top the gtx. Their next card was probably already in development befor ethe 2900 XT came out anyway, and I doubt they'll waste the money they spent on it by not releasing it so that their current cards will sell a little better.

Yeah, if they have it they will sell it, because it's cheaper to produce at 65 nm and because some people who already have the 8800 GTX will buy it anyway.
Of course, this may just be wishful thinking on my part.

I read somewhere that nVidia has advised BFG/eVGA/XFX etc to reduce inventories of 8800-series cards. That could also be a sign that something new is approaching.

Ok so i take onboard everybodys coments and can see that it would make sence to kick ati while they are down.
So given that they would release this card as soon as poss then i cant see them ramping down production of the g8000s as these would become low highend cards wouldnt they? and as such should drop in price? so become more of an option to the midrange to lowhigh end market which surley is the bigest market isnt it?
This brings me to the next point if the 65nm cards are going to be cheaper to produce does it follow that the next gen of card will be cheaper than the last ?!!? I dont think so.
I for one wouldnt rush to spend extra money on a card i knew cost them less to make.

Mactronix