Wildly Fluctuating FPS.... How come?

Last response: in Video Games
October 11, 2004 12:44:43 PM

Hi:

Essentials of system:

Windows ME
Athlon XP +2600
ASUS A7N8X motherboard
512 Mg of PC3200 RAM
Xtasy Radeon 9600 graphics card w/256 Mg memory

I've been playing Quake 3 for some time with this setup and generally
held right around 125 FPS most of the time playing CTF4. I'd never
bench marked this system using the FOUR.DM_68 demo because things
seemed satisfactory.

Just recently I installed a new hard drive in the system, did a fresh
install of Win ME, updated Win ME, installed most recent Nvidia
drivers for the motherboard, installed the most recent ATI graphics
card drivers, downloaded DirectX 9.0c, re-installed Quake 3, updated
Quake 3, and then copied the entire Quake 3 directory (with config
files, etc.) from the old to the new drive. Now, I'm getting wildly
fluctuating FPS's in CTF4; it'll hold steady at 125 when looking up at
the black sky but drops down as low as the 50's when there's lots of
action going on. During regular game play FPS jumps all over the
place.

I've tried un-installing drivers and loading older drivers, where
possible, though nothing in the list of "Fixed in this driver:" notes
suggests anything is wrong with the latest drivers. Since I copied
the contents of the old Quake 3 directory over to the new drive,
nothing has changed in my configs. Looking through the graphics card
properties, everything seems OK: refresh rate at "optimal", hardware
acceleration "full", AGP speed at "8x", fast write as "off" (which I
think is correct for this card as the "on/off" option is grayed out),
3D settings set at "performance."

The DirectX Diagnostic Tool says everything's OK.

Nothing has changed in my BIOS, as far as I can see.

Can anybody suggest anything else to look into to solve this issue?

TIA.

Tom Young

More about : wildly fluctuating fps

Anonymous
October 12, 2004 8:02:58 AM

Tom Young wrote:
> Hi:
>
> Essentials of system:
>
> Windows ME
> Athlon XP +2600
> ASUS A7N8X motherboard
> 512 Mg of PC3200 RAM
> Xtasy Radeon 9600 graphics card w/256 Mg memory
>
> I've been playing Quake 3 for some time with this setup and generally
> held right around 125 FPS most of the time playing CTF4. I'd never
> bench marked this system using the FOUR.DM_68 demo because things
> seemed satisfactory.
>
> Just recently I installed a new hard drive in the system, did a fresh
> install of Win ME, updated Win ME, installed most recent Nvidia
> drivers for the motherboard, installed the most recent ATI graphics
> card drivers, downloaded DirectX 9.0c, re-installed Quake 3, updated
> Quake 3, and then copied the entire Quake 3 directory (with config
> files, etc.) from the old to the new drive. Now, I'm getting wildly
> fluctuating FPS's in CTF4; it'll hold steady at 125 when looking up at
> the black sky but drops down as low as the 50's when there's lots of
> action going on. During regular game play FPS jumps all over the
> place.
>
> I've tried un-installing drivers and loading older drivers, where
> possible, though nothing in the list of "Fixed in this driver:" notes
> suggests anything is wrong with the latest drivers. Since I copied
> the contents of the old Quake 3 directory over to the new drive,
> nothing has changed in my configs. Looking through the graphics card
> properties, everything seems OK: refresh rate at "optimal", hardware
> acceleration "full", AGP speed at "8x", fast write as "off" (which I
> think is correct for this card as the "on/off" option is grayed out),
> 3D settings set at "performance."
>
> The DirectX Diagnostic Tool says everything's OK.
>
> Nothing has changed in my BIOS, as far as I can see.
>
> Can anybody suggest anything else to look into to solve this issue?
>
> TIA.
>
> Tom Young

After doing all those installs and driver updates, and copying your q3 files
over to the new drive, did you run defrag? A heavily fragmented hard drive
can cause severe performance issues with games
Anonymous
October 12, 2004 9:06:47 AM

"LoTekGuru" <lotekguru@NOSPAMinsightbb.com> wrote in message news:<SHIad.350541$mD.64184@attbi_s02>...
> Tom Young wrote:
> > Hi:
> >
> > Essentials of system:
> >
> > Windows ME
> > Athlon XP +2600
> > ASUS A7N8X motherboard
> > 512 Mg of PC3200 RAM
> > Xtasy Radeon 9600 graphics card w/256 Mg memory
> >
> > I've been playing Quake 3 for some time with this setup and generally
> > held right around 125 FPS most of the time playing CTF4. I'd never
> > bench marked this system using the FOUR.DM_68 demo because things
> > seemed satisfactory.
> >
> > Just recently I installed a new hard drive in the system, did a fresh
> > install of Win ME, updated Win ME, installed most recent Nvidia
> > drivers for the motherboard, installed the most recent ATI graphics
> > card drivers, downloaded DirectX 9.0c, re-installed Quake 3, updated
> > Quake 3, and then copied the entire Quake 3 directory (with config
> > files, etc.) from the old to the new drive. Now, I'm getting wildly
> > fluctuating FPS's in CTF4; it'll hold steady at 125 when looking up at
> > the black sky but drops down as low as the 50's when there's lots of
> > action going on. During regular game play FPS jumps all over the
> > place.
> >
> > I've tried un-installing drivers and loading older drivers, where
> > possible, though nothing in the list of "Fixed in this driver:" notes
> > suggests anything is wrong with the latest drivers. Since I copied
> > the contents of the old Quake 3 directory over to the new drive,
> > nothing has changed in my configs. Looking through the graphics card
> > properties, everything seems OK: refresh rate at "optimal", hardware
> > acceleration "full", AGP speed at "8x", fast write as "off" (which I
> > think is correct for this card as the "on/off" option is grayed out),
> > 3D settings set at "performance."
> >
> > The DirectX Diagnostic Tool says everything's OK.
> >
> > Nothing has changed in my BIOS, as far as I can see.
> >
> > Can anybody suggest anything else to look into to solve this issue?
> >
> > TIA.
> >
> > Tom Young
>
> After doing all those installs and driver updates, and copying your q3 files
> over to the new drive, did you run defrag? A heavily fragmented hard drive
> can cause severe performance issues with games

Yep, tried that... no improvement.
October 12, 2004 11:33:19 PM

Tom Young wrote:
> "LoTekGuru" <lotekguru@NOSPAMinsightbb.com> wrote in message
>> Tom Young wrote:
>>> Hi:
>>>
>>> Essentials of system:
>>>
>>> Windows ME
>>> Athlon XP +2600
>>> ASUS A7N8X motherboard
>>> 512 Mg of PC3200 RAM
>>> Xtasy Radeon 9600 graphics card w/256 Mg memory
>>>
>>> I've been playing Quake 3 for some time with this setup and
>>> generally held right around 125 FPS most of the time playing CTF4.
>>> I'd never bench marked this system using the FOUR.DM_68 demo
>>> because things seemed satisfactory.
>>>
>>> Just recently I installed a new hard drive in the system, did a
>>> fresh install of Win ME, updated Win ME, installed most recent
>>> Nvidia drivers for the motherboard, installed the most recent ATI
>>> graphics card drivers, downloaded DirectX 9.0c, re-installed Quake
>>> 3, updated Quake 3, and then copied the entire Quake 3 directory
>>> (with config files, etc.) from the old to the new drive. Now, I'm
>>> getting wildly fluctuating FPS's in CTF4; it'll hold steady at 125
>>> when looking up at the black sky but drops down as low as the 50's
>>> when there's lots of action going on. During regular game play FPS
>>> jumps all over the place.
>>>
>>> I've tried un-installing drivers and loading older drivers, where
>>> possible, though nothing in the list of "Fixed in this driver:"
>>> notes suggests anything is wrong with the latest drivers. Since I
>>> copied the contents of the old Quake 3 directory over to the new
>>> drive, nothing has changed in my configs. Looking through the
>>> graphics card properties, everything seems OK: refresh rate at
>>> "optimal", hardware acceleration "full", AGP speed at "8x", fast
>>> write as "off" (which I think is correct for this card as the
>>> "on/off" option is grayed out), 3D settings set at "performance."
>>>
>>> The DirectX Diagnostic Tool says everything's OK.
>>>
>>> Nothing has changed in my BIOS, as far as I can see.
>>>
>>> Can anybody suggest anything else to look into to solve this issue?
>>>
>>> TIA.
>>>
>>> Tom Young
>>
>> After doing all those installs and driver updates, and copying your
>> q3 files over to the new drive, did you run defrag? A heavily
>> fragmented hard drive can cause severe performance issues with games
>

> Yep, tried that... no improvement.

Did you check your task manager for any processes that might be eating up a
lot of CPU and/or RAM? Double-check that your com_hunkmegs setting is set
to at least 96 (96-128 is about the max setting you can use that will gain
any kind of performance increase. Anything more and it's just useless
overkill) Also, is q3 the only game you're having performance issues with?
October 15, 2004 2:03:15 AM

On 11 Oct 2004 08:44:43 -0700, tgyoung@yahoo.com (Tom Young) wrote:

>Hi:
>
>Essentials of system:
>
>Windows ME
>Athlon XP +2600
>ASUS A7N8X motherboard
>512 Mg of PC3200 RAM
>Xtasy Radeon 9600 graphics card w/256 Mg memory
>
>I've been playing Quake 3 for some time with this setup and generally
>held right around 125 FPS most of the time playing CTF4. I'd never
>bench marked this system using the FOUR.DM_68 demo because things
>seemed satisfactory.
>
>Just recently I installed a new hard drive in the system, did a fresh
>install of Win ME, updated Win ME, installed most recent Nvidia
>drivers for the motherboard, installed the most recent ATI graphics
>card drivers, downloaded DirectX 9.0c, re-installed Quake 3, updated
>Quake 3, and then copied the entire Quake 3 directory (with config
>files, etc.) from the old to the new drive. Now, I'm getting wildly
>fluctuating FPS's in CTF4; it'll hold steady at 125 when looking up at
>the black sky but drops down as low as the 50's when there's lots of
>action going on. During regular game play FPS jumps all over the
>place.
>
>I've tried un-installing drivers and loading older drivers, where
>possible, though nothing in the list of "Fixed in this driver:" notes
>suggests anything is wrong with the latest drivers. Since I copied
>the contents of the old Quake 3 directory over to the new drive,
>nothing has changed in my configs. Looking through the graphics card
>properties, everything seems OK: refresh rate at "optimal", hardware
>acceleration "full", AGP speed at "8x", fast write as "off" (which I
>think is correct for this card as the "on/off" option is grayed out),
>3D settings set at "performance."
>
>The DirectX Diagnostic Tool says everything's OK.
>
>Nothing has changed in my BIOS, as far as I can see.
>
>Can anybody suggest anything else to look into to solve this issue?
>
>TIA.
>
>Tom Young

50 fps with *heavy action* sounds pretty good for your computer, thats
already 20 more than what i get with p4 2 ghz + ti 4200. i guess the
driver u are using, is using more detail, or your resolution is too
high ( only know that 9600 is a midrange card ). if you think its
slow, try tweak your ini some more, or get rid of ME and other beta /
home edtions.

tom
October 16, 2004 2:20:44 AM

tom you should get a constant 125 fps easy with you spec
"tom" <thomas@gmx.de> wrote in message
> On 11 Oct 2004 08:44:43 -0700, tgyoung@yahoo.com (Tom Young) wrote:
>
>>Hi:
>>
>>Essentials of system:
>>
>>Windows ME
>>Athlon XP +2600
>>ASUS A7N8X motherboard
>>512 Mg of PC3200 RAM
>>Xtasy Radeon 9600 graphics card w/256 Mg memory
>>
>>I've been playing Quake 3 for some time with this setup and generally
>>held right around 125 FPS most of the time playing CTF4. I'd never
>>bench marked this system using the FOUR.DM_68 demo because things
>>seemed satisfactory.
>>
>>Just recently I installed a new hard drive in the system, did a fresh
>>install of Win ME, updated Win ME, installed most recent Nvidia
>>drivers for the motherboard, installed the most recent ATI graphics
>>card drivers, downloaded DirectX 9.0c, re-installed Quake 3, updated
>>Quake 3, and then copied the entire Quake 3 directory (with config
>>files, etc.) from the old to the new drive. Now, I'm getting wildly
>>fluctuating FPS's in CTF4; it'll hold steady at 125 when looking up at
>>the black sky but drops down as low as the 50's when there's lots of
>>action going on. During regular game play FPS jumps all over the
>>place.
>>
>>I've tried un-installing drivers and loading older drivers, where
>>possible, though nothing in the list of "Fixed in this driver:" notes
>>suggests anything is wrong with the latest drivers. Since I copied
>>the contents of the old Quake 3 directory over to the new drive,
>>nothing has changed in my configs. Looking through the graphics card
>>properties, everything seems OK: refresh rate at "optimal", hardware
>>acceleration "full", AGP speed at "8x", fast write as "off" (which I
>>think is correct for this card as the "on/off" option is grayed out),
>>3D settings set at "performance."
>>
>>The DirectX Diagnostic Tool says everything's OK.
>>
>>Nothing has changed in my BIOS, as far as I can see.
>>
>>Can anybody suggest anything else to look into to solve this issue?
>>
>>TIA.
>>
>>Tom Young
>
> 50 fps with *heavy action* sounds pretty good for your computer, thats
> already 20 more than what i get with p4 2 ghz + ti 4200. i guess the
> driver u are using, is using more detail, or your resolution is too
> high ( only know that 9600 is a midrange card ). if you think its
> slow, try tweak your ini some more, or get rid of ME and other beta /
> home edtions.
>
> tom
Anonymous
October 16, 2004 3:13:30 AM

Simon wrote:
> tom you should get a constant 125 fps easy with you spec

Absolutely! I've got a XP 2500+ (overclocked to 2.4 GHz.) a Radeon 9700
non-pro, and 512 MB RAM and I get a steady 125 on any map I play on
(com_maxFPS is set to 120.. don't ask me why I still get the extra 5, but at
least I still take advantage of the physics bug "sweet spot" :) )

with a 2 GHz. P4 and a ti4200 you should be getting pretty close to the same
speeds
>> 50 fps with *heavy action* sounds pretty good for your computer,
>> thats already 20 more than what i get with p4 2 ghz + ti 4200. i
>> guess the driver u are using, is using more detail, or your
>> resolution is too high ( only know that 9600 is a midrange card ).
>> if you think its slow, try tweak your ini some more, or get rid of
>> ME and other beta / home edtions.
>>
>> tom
Anonymous
October 18, 2004 5:45:16 PM

"LoTekGuru" <lotekguru@NOSPAMinsightbb.com> wrote in message news:<3kWad.248232$3l3.184576@attbi_s03>...
> Tom Young wrote:
> > "LoTekGuru" <lotekguru@NOSPAMinsightbb.com> wrote in message

> >> After doing all those installs and driver updates, and copying your
> >> q3 files over to the new drive, did you run defrag? A heavily
> >> fragmented hard drive can cause severe performance issues with games
> >

> > Yep, tried that... no improvement.
>

> Did you check your task manager for any processes that might be eating up a
> lot of CPU and/or RAM? Double-check that your com_hunkmegs setting is set
> to at least 96 (96-128 is about the max setting you can use that will gain
> any kind of performance increase. Anything more and it's just useless
> overkill) Also, is q3 the only game you're having performance issues with?

Explorer, Systray and Carpserv are the only items running after bootup
of the computer. Com_hunkmegs is 128.

Another thing that's strage: sometimes, with the same number of people
on the map, my FPS will typically stay above 100 but at other times it
drops as low as 60.
Anonymous
October 19, 2004 3:07:04 PM

tgyoung@yahoo.com (Tom Young) wrote in message news:<b2eecfd8.0410110744.479d4239@posting.google.com>...
> Hi:
>
> Essentials of system:
>
> Windows ME
> Athlon XP +2600
> ASUS A7N8X motherboard
> 512 Mg of PC3200 RAM
> Xtasy Radeon 9600 graphics card w/256 Mg memory
>
> I've been playing Quake 3 for some time with this setup and generally
> held right around 125 FPS most of the time playing CTF4. I'd never
> bench marked this system using the FOUR.DM_68 demo because things
> seemed satisfactory.
>
> Just recently I installed a new hard drive in the system, did a fresh
> install of Win ME, updated Win ME, installed most recent Nvidia
> drivers for the motherboard, installed the most recent ATI graphics
> card drivers, downloaded DirectX 9.0c, re-installed Quake 3, updated
> Quake 3, and then copied the entire Quake 3 directory (with config
> files, etc.) from the old to the new drive. Now, I'm getting wildly
> fluctuating FPS's in CTF4; it'll hold steady at 125 when looking up at
> the black sky but drops down as low as the 50's when there's lots of
> action going on. During regular game play FPS jumps all over the
> place.
>
> I've tried un-installing drivers and loading older drivers, where
> possible, though nothing in the list of "Fixed in this driver:" notes
> suggests anything is wrong with the latest drivers. Since I copied
> the contents of the old Quake 3 directory over to the new drive,
> nothing has changed in my configs. Looking through the graphics card
> properties, everything seems OK: refresh rate at "optimal", hardware
> acceleration "full", AGP speed at "8x", fast write as "off" (which I
> think is correct for this card as the "on/off" option is grayed out),
> 3D settings set at "performance."
>
> The DirectX Diagnostic Tool says everything's OK.
>
> Nothing has changed in my BIOS, as far as I can see.
>
> Can anybody suggest anything else to look into to solve this issue?
>
> TIA.
>
> Tom Young

It looks like the problem had something to do with conflicts between
the graphic card drivers and imbedded sound card on the A7N8X
motherboard. Removed the sound card via Control Panel > System and
disabled the sound card via BIOS then installed a new Sound Blaster
PCI sound card; FPS seem to be back up where they were before. I had
removed the "latest and greatest" ATI drivers and installed the same
drivers I was using before the new WinME install, but I hadn't
uninstalled the "latest and greatest" NVIDIA drivers; looks like the
NVIDIA drivers caused the conflict.
Anonymous
October 19, 2004 8:50:53 PM

tgyoung@yahoo.com (Tom Young) wrote in message news:<b2eecfd8.0410191007.5a032af9@posting.google.com>...
> tgyoung@yahoo.com (Tom Young) wrote in message news:<b2eecfd8.0410110744.479d4239@posting.google.com>...
> > Hi:
> >
> > Essentials of system:
> >
> > Windows ME
> > Athlon XP +2600
> > ASUS A7N8X motherboard
> > 512 Mg of PC3200 RAM
> > Xtasy Radeon 9600 graphics card w/256 Mg memory
> >
> > I've been playing Quake 3 for some time with this setup and generally
> > held right around 125 FPS most of the time playing CTF4. I'd never
> > bench marked this system using the FOUR.DM_68 demo because things
> > seemed satisfactory.
> >
> > Just recently I installed a new hard drive in the system, did a fresh
> > install of Win ME, updated Win ME, installed most recent Nvidia
> > drivers for the motherboard, installed the most recent ATI graphics
> > card drivers, downloaded DirectX 9.0c, re-installed Quake 3, updated
> > Quake 3, and then copied the entire Quake 3 directory (with config
> > files, etc.) from the old to the new drive. Now, I'm getting wildly
> > fluctuating FPS's in CTF4; it'll hold steady at 125 when looking up at
> > the black sky but drops down as low as the 50's when there's lots of
> > action going on. During regular game play FPS jumps all over the
> > place.
> >
> > I've tried un-installing drivers and loading older drivers, where
> > possible, though nothing in the list of "Fixed in this driver:" notes
> > suggests anything is wrong with the latest drivers. Since I copied
> > the contents of the old Quake 3 directory over to the new drive,
> > nothing has changed in my configs. Looking through the graphics card
> > properties, everything seems OK: refresh rate at "optimal", hardware
> > acceleration "full", AGP speed at "8x", fast write as "off" (which I
> > think is correct for this card as the "on/off" option is grayed out),
> > 3D settings set at "performance."
> >
> > The DirectX Diagnostic Tool says everything's OK.
> >
> > Nothing has changed in my BIOS, as far as I can see.
> >
> > Can anybody suggest anything else to look into to solve this issue?
> >
> > TIA.
> >
> > Tom Young
>
> It looks like the problem had something to do with conflicts between
> the graphic card drivers and imbedded sound card on the A7N8X
> motherboard. Removed the sound card via Control Panel > System and
> disabled the sound card via BIOS then installed a new Sound Blaster
> PCI sound card; FPS seem to be back up where they were before. I had
> removed the "latest and greatest" ATI drivers and installed the same
> drivers I was using before the new WinME install, but I hadn't
> uninstalled the "latest and greatest" NVIDIA drivers; looks like the
> NVIDIA drivers caused the conflict.

Well, it seems I spoke too soon. Although the FPS were good
immediately after the install of the new sound card, when I tried
again later in the day the FPS were bouncing all over again, dropping
down to the 60's at points. I still think it's some sort of driver
conflict issue, but don't know what else to try at this point.
!