Ultimate updating

Sue A

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2009
I have been having problems with installing updates on my vista ultimate system. Now, I have more problems as everything as slowed a great deal, and I cannot install new programs or remove old ones. I did a startup repair by inserting my Vista CD (OEM), and it automatically restored back several months, then when I rebooted to the restored copy, the updated (windows) files downloaded but still wouldn't install. No error message, just sits at the installing message for hours.
If I buy an upgrade to Windows 7 ultimate, will my problems follow forward. I really would prefer to do an upgrade, as I don't want to reinstall all my programs.
Or, are there any suggestions to fixing my problem on this version?
(I have 4 GB or ram, built this computer myself (no problems for over 8 months until this one).)
Thanks in advance for any suggestions. Sue

Sue A

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2009
I do have administrator rights, but was unable to fix the problem, even with help from MS tech help. They have decided to send me a new Win Ultima CD with SP 2, as mine was SP 1. They believe that it will solve my problems without having to start over with installing the programs. We will see... I was surprised how helpful they were, without charge, since my computer wouldn't install the updates. What they did so far, did speed my computer back up, and allowed me to install the program that I needed. Thanks for your reply. Sue