Sign in with
Your question

Cold bood error

Last response: in Windows XP
September 2, 2009 5:54:22 AM

I'm stuck. I did a new hard drive install. When the new HD was complete I thought I would copy the data from the old drive to the new. They both still had os installed. They were both connected to the system at the same time.

When I finished, I removed the old drive. The new drive wouldn't boot. "Disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter". After recovery disk completed, the system booted fine. I could reboot from the shutdown option.

The problem I have is when the system is shutdown completely. It requires the system disk again. It will reboot after the system disk is reinstalled. I continually get the "Disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter" error message.

Here is the funny thing. During bootup after a shutdown, I can F2 into the bios before the error message. It will allow me to exit and then windows will boot without the error message.

How can I rid this error message completely?

Thanks,

Rich Benson

contare1@hotmail.com

More about : cold bood error

September 2, 2009 2:50:44 PM

When you install windows on a new HD, with the old HD still connected, it will copy some files to the old HD (referencing C drive). This is why you only want the HD that you are installing windows on to be connected.

The easiest fix, is a fresh install on the new HD.
m
l
September 2, 2009 4:16:35 PM

I did a new install with just the new HD. After that i tried to get some data of the old and connected both to the system at the same time. Since then the old drive wont boot by itself, and the new one will but with the error message.

I thought of doing a new install but wasn't sure if the problem will persist even after the new install.

The system will boot by either using F2 into bios then it will skip the error message or by using the system disk to boot. A stand alone boot will not work.
m
l
Related resources
September 2, 2009 4:27:03 PM

Check the boot order in the BIOS to make sure the new HD is the first listed. Also check your boot.ini file. Make sure your HD is in SATA slot 1 (or master position if IDE).
m
l
September 2, 2009 5:07:41 PM

[boot loader]
timeout=10
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

Not sure what /noexecute=optin is?

Thanks for the advise.
m
l
September 2, 2009 5:44:19 PM

Your boot.ini file looks fine.

The NoExectute=optin parameter enables DEP to protect OS components. It's a normal parameter.

Did you check the boot order in the BIOS?
m
l
September 3, 2009 3:38:06 AM

Yes, even removed others and left just the hard drive. This error is just as the POST is finishing.

I find it strange that i can cold boot, press F2 into bios, then exit and skip over the error message with a normal boot. There is no cds or floppys in the drives either.
m
l
September 3, 2009 1:16:54 PM

What is the hard drive make and size?
Also, who makes your motherboard and what model is it?

You might want to check that you have the latest BIOS update for your motherboard.
m
l
September 3, 2009 2:03:34 PM

Boot into the repair console. At the command line, use these commands
fixboot <--this will replace your boot files
fixmbr <--this will rewrite your master boot record
m
l
September 3, 2009 2:09:45 PM

This should fix that issue, I agree with you aford10.

Reason I was asking for the Hard drive make was because most hard drive manufactures have software that allows you to copy a partition from one drive to another, for instance buying a bigger or better hard drive and not wanting to have to reinstall everything.

Western Digital makes a tool for that, so dose SeaGate (who now owns Maxtor).

Just a thought for later on down the road contare if you ever wanted to do a drive to drive copy.

Also if you BIOS is out of date or Invalid it could cause these if not similar issues.

I hope we solved your issues.
m
l
September 3, 2009 4:20:11 PM

It's a Sony build. The MB is Asustek mdl # PS4533VL Version 1.xx. The new HD is a WD ide Ata-100 500gb 16mb.

I did a reinstall of the system recovery disk included from Sony. Still having the error issues. The error begins just at or during POST. I can skip the error by F2 into bios setup and exiting.

I have the old HD that will freeze after the microsoft logo and during the blue screen (windows loading) boot sequence. I need to get ahold of a XP Home disk to do a repair. It is an original xp home with no SP installed. I did do a update to SP3, which is where it was at the transfer. Can I use any XP Home with SP1, 2,or 3. Or do I need the exact XP Home version to do the repair?

Thanks for your leads.
m
l
September 3, 2009 4:42:42 PM

Any is fine.
m
l
September 10, 2009 6:23:47 AM

I'd like to give you an update. This is strange that the system would not boot unless I F2 into bios. I tried to do a repair on the old HD and disconnected the new HD. When I came back into the new HD it wouldn't boot in any attempt. I tried all the above mentioned symptoms to no avail. I noticed in the F2 setup that the HD in the boot was not being seen.

I thought I would just import an image of the drive that I made w/ Acronis TI. When the image needed to be installed in a new formated partition. When I canceled the TI software the system booted.

I didnt have the OS disk so I ordered it. I did a new reformat of the HD and reinstalled the OS and It appears to be fine.

Thanks for your help.

If you could assist me with the old HD. It would not boot anfter the logo and before the windows install. I did a repair using this new OS disk. it started to boot got to the user log in screen. Windows says I need to register the product before log in. It now loops back to the user screen log in without registering the product. Any leads?

Thanks Rich
m
l
September 10, 2009 9:39:35 PM

The old hard drive should be functionally fine now. The OS that's installed just needs to be registered to activate it. You can call Microsoft and they can help you out.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307890
m
l
September 11, 2009 4:31:08 PM

It should be fine. It will not get past the user log in page yet. Just loops back into this screen. I will contact Microsoft. Thanks for all your help.

Rich
m
l
September 11, 2009 5:29:40 PM

I un plugged the new HD for the old one again. I need to backup the data on the old drive. Looking to get the microsoft help. It says I need to be loggen in to do the KB you forwarded. As i was in the log in loop. Windows did an update by itself. Still couldn't log in though.

Re installed the new hard drive and got back to th eissue of not booting up. This HD was ready and working before I changed back and forth. I know the OS is in there cause I can use the F2 into bios and skip the error message.

Any leads?
m
l
September 11, 2009 6:49:22 PM

Have you tried resetting the defaults or optimized settings in the BIOS?
m
l
September 12, 2009 3:52:30 AM

Tried both. Dont understand how the bios can not see the hd in post but if I F2 into bios it skips and sees the hd. At 1 point it would not work after that. I had to use my acronis true image boot disk then cancel then windows would load. I will reinstal again. 5th attempt.
m
l
September 12, 2009 4:13:53 AM

Make sure when you do the install, that the other hard drive is disconnected.
m
l
September 12, 2009 4:22:28 AM

It always is.
m
l
!