Want to build gaiming rig for 2000-2500 $

Any suggestions from local pros very welcome.
Build my old one myself three years ago, no time for research right now, wife and small one.
6 answers Last reply
More about want build gaiming 2000 2500
  1. Do you need a new monitor/keyboard/mouse included in the budget or are you carrying some stuff over?
  2. Going to use my old monitor, mouse, keyboard.
    Also already have PS 650W and HD, Raptor 150 g.
  3. When are you going to be building your computer? These Intel price cuts on July 22 are looking real nice...for example a 3.0ghz C2D for $266, I think it was.
  4. No doubt I can wait few weeks, but not going to be easy.
    Any suggestions in regards to cpu, motherboard, memory, graphic card ?
  5. Well if you're trying to future proof this computer , I'd go with a quad core, such as Q6700, if you can manage to fit that in your budget. Otherwise you can get the Q6600 and overclock it :D .

Again, if you want to future proof, you'd want to go with a P35 motherboard, otherwise go with something like Asus P5B-Plus or Asus P5B Deluxe.

For the graphics card, I would go with the 8800gtx. Don't go with two lower cards in SLI, because that doesn't get much performance increase over a single card...plus the power requirements are nasty for SLI.

I would also suggest 2Gb of ram..such as these.
  6. Prices from newegg.

Motherboard: Gigabyte P35-DQ6 $250
    CPU: Quad core after price cut
    Graphics: EVGA 8800GTX $530
    RAM: 2 x 1GB Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800 $115
    PSU: PC Power & Cooling 750W $209
    HD: 150GB Raptor to add to your existing one: $170
    Cooling: water cooling/TEC if you're into serious overclocking. Not really my field. If you just want a CPU heatsink then Ultra 120 Extreme $65

Stuff you might not need/want:
    Sound: X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS $180
    Case: Antec P182 $155

Comes in well underbudget. Alternatively if you want to go a bit crazy you could get a 680i motherboard like the DFI or Asus Striker and get two 8800GTX cards in SLI. The PSU would be fine for that.

EDIT: Just noticed you already have a power supply. What brand/model is it? If it's a good one then 650W should be fine for a single 8800GTX. Not 100% sure about 2 in SLI.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Build Systems Product