hard drive fails to format

have been attempting to load Windows XP Pro on a machine that was formerly
Windows ME. I boot up to the CD and go through all of the start up options,
choosing to format the drive using NTFS system. The process follows through
until 100% and then I receive a message stating "setup was unable to format
the partition. The disc may be damaged". I have tried 3 different hard
drives, 2 of which are new and not damaged, but receive the same message.
Any thoughts/ides?
--
kah
4 answers Last reply

    kah wrote:
    > have been attempting to load Windows XP Pro on a machine that was formerly
    > Windows ME. I boot up to the CD and go through all of the start up options,
    > choosing to format the drive using NTFS system. The process follows through
    > until 100% and then I receive a message stating "setup was unable to format
    > the partition. The disc may be damaged". I have tried 3 different hard
    > drives, 2 of which are new and not damaged, but receive the same message.
    > Any thoughts/ides?

    Well, as you've eliminated the hard drive itself, it seems likely that
    there is something wrong or incompatible with the motherboard's IDE
    controller. Have you checked with the motherboard manufacturer to see
    if your specific motherboard is capable of supporting WinXP, or if
    there's a BIOS update required to bestow compatibility? What were the
    results when you ran the WinXP Compatibility test before undertaking the
    upgrade?

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Make certain the IDE Cables are securely attached to both motherboard and
    drive.
    For troubleshooting purposes have you tried running FDISK and formatting
    using your Windows ME Startup floppy?

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    "Harry Ohrn" <harry---@webtree.ca> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > Make certain the IDE Cables are securely attached to both motherboard and
    > drive.
    > For troubleshooting purposes have you tried running FDISK and formatting
    > using your Windows ME Startup floppy?
    >
    > --
    >
    > Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    > www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
    >

    > "kah" <kah@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > have been attempting to load Windows XP Pro on a machine that was
    formerly
    > > Windows ME. I boot up to the CD and go through all of the start up
    > > options,
    > > choosing to format the drive using NTFS system. The process follows
    > > through
    > > until 100% and then I receive a message stating "setup was unable to
    > > format
    > > the partition. The disc may be damaged". I have tried 3 different hard
    > > drives, 2 of which are new and not damaged, but receive the same
    message.
    > > Any thoughts/ides?
    > > --
    > > kah

    OK this may solve the problem but I can't tell you why. If you are
    using Master/Slave then change to cable select, make sure the drive is
    at the end of the cable. If you are using cable select then change to
    master.

    I have had more funky stuff with this than you could believe.

    Wayne

    kah wrote:

    > have been attempting to load Windows XP Pro on a machine that was
    > formerly Windows ME. I boot up to the CD and go through all of the
    > start up options, choosing to format the drive using NTFS system.
    > The process follows through until 100% and then I receive a message
    > stating "setup was unable to format the partition. The disc may be
    > damaged". I have tried 3 different hard drives, 2 of which are new
    > and not damaged, but receive the same message. Any thoughts/ides?

Hard Drives Format Windows XP