help with power cutting out on Gigabyte p65-DS3

tm84p

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2007
Hey guys, need some help ASAP. Recently my PSU went out (was wierd cause I turned it off at night and it was fine, then in the morning it just didn't work). ANyhow I just got a new PSU, hooked it and it turned on fine. I was rushing to get out the door so I didn't have anything hooked up to the machine, I just turned it on, saw everything was powering on fine and then turned the computer off. When I hooked it up later it wasn't working, it would just power on for a second, then turn off, then on again a few seconds later and cutout again. It would just keep repeating it. I have tried unplugging different components, resetting the CMOS battery, etc and I am not getting anything, there are no beeps either. Anyone seen this before or know what to do. I know the possibility that the Mobo fried when the first PSU went out but I don't see any burn signs or smells on the mobo. Let me know if there is anything to do before I RMA the Mobo.

Specs are:
e4300 (oced to 2.8)
Gigabyte p965-DS3
WD 250 GB SATA2 HD
Seagate 250 GB SATA2 HD
Corsair 520W Modular PSU (the one I had before that was running fine before it blew was a Coolermaster 550w that had only 36A on the 12v rails this one has 40A)
2 IDE DVD drives
TT Blue Orb2 (Crap I know but it is free and matches the case)
Antec 900 case
2x1GB Patriot RAM DDR2 800 PC-6400

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
First make sure everything is connected including the 4 connector power to the board and if your video card needs a power connector, make sure it's connected. Frequently when the computer only powers on for seconds it's the CPU overheating. Suggest you take off the HSF, clean it and the CPU with rubbing alcohol, coffee filers work well, and put on a dab of new paste and make sure the HSF is seated correctly.

tm84p

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2007
Thats possible though unlikely, I am using an aftermarket cooler that hasn't popped out or anything. Will see if that is it though.

goldragon_70

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
Try reseating everything, and check for scorch marks, just to make sure there is no visible damage. While reseating, try running with just the cpu connected, and see if you get a response from the Bios. Maybe try with just the cpu and ram, the Mobo should tell you with beeps or something else that there is no graphics connected. If it gives an indication then work your way up. This will help you find if it's a part or if the PSU is just a little short of power you need. BTW what's your Graphics card?

tm84p

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2007
evga 8800 gts

Actually I have tried all of those things, the only time I got a beep was when I unplugged the GPU. Well the beauty of ordering from Newegg is they will send you new parts if something blows so I already sent the mobo back to them to replace, if that don't wrk then I will go with a different psu and work my way up from there.

goldragon_70

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
I thought it might be an 8800. It could be the PSU, with all that you have in your system, and the fact that you have you cpu overclocked, even with the 40A draw for the graphics card, Your system may just pull a little more then your PSU can give. I hope a new mobo fixes it though.

skyguy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
Remove the mobo battery, sit for 1 minute, reinstall, then go with stock BIOS settings. No overclock. Make sure of that first. Your sig says 2.8 so I'm assuming you'd have an unstable OC as the initial quick culprit.

If you've done this already then it's like a hardware problem.

tm84p

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2007
CPU fan was turning on, didn't sound like HD's were turning on. I tried with just CPU, CPU and memory, CPU and Hard drives, but I wasn't getting anything different.

I checked the board thoroughly but I found no scorch marks. I tried resetting the battery nothing changed.

T8RR8R

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
disconnect everything from the PSU and jump it to itself to make sure the thing works in the 1st place without anything connected to it. Have you ever tried a different wall socket? I know one time I was like WTF and found out my socket was a little loose...who knew.

Start simple

tm84p

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2007
Yeah I did the battery reset and the jumper reset, nothing changed. The one thing i thought it might be was the board shorting it self but I could find nowhere that it was touchign metal directly and the most frustrating thing is that it messed up when it wasnt being used so i have no idea what could have happened. Their is no voltage switch on the new PSU I have, the old one had one but that was never changed.
As far as the PSU goes I tried the old one with a voltage tester and i was getting nothing, so i knew that was the original culprit. The new one that I was testing works fine and i currently have it powering a backup system while I am waiting for the mobo replacement. Is there anyway to test the voltage output though? Just to know if I am getting the right amount of juice out of the PSU.

BTW Is Orthos a good enough OC tester or should I do the dual Prime95?

Gh0stDrag0n

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2006
More than likely the coolermaster PSU damaged your motherboard when it died, the Corsair PSU is a good quality PSU and will run your system without any problems.