A little much?

• Thread starter Deleted member 3023
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 3023

A few of these seem to do the same things, so I'd like to get some input.
I don't do any online banking, save any personal/website passwords & seldom use auction sites anymore. My Q is ... is this overdoing it just a little? And if so, what should I keep & what should I remove?

Auslogics Disk Defrag
Auslogics Registry Cleaner
EnhanceMySe7en
Glary Utilities
Internet Eraser
TweakNow PowerPack 2010

These are non-installs; meaning I didn't have to install them, just unzip & move them to a folder on my comfuser.
Piriform CCleaner
Piriform Defraggler
Easy Cleaner
Eraser
Ultimate Windows Tweaker

Solution
For myself, I hate every one of those utilities. Don't trust myself to any automatic registry cleaning, tweaking, file deleting, etc... Windows has way too much software and hardware and settings that can run on it for any utility to work properly with it.

I now lots of prople here recommend ccleaner, but I will go with a re-install of Windows before using it or a similar utility. The only time I use a "registrly cleaner" if it's part of a spyware of virus removal process.
Yes, you've got some redundancies there.

ccleaner can clean the registry, clear windows and application files.

Defraggler is good.

Revo uninstaller is good for uninstalling programs, and searching for leftover registry traces.

Get yourself a good real time antivirus, such as Microsoft Security Essentials or Avast.

Other than that, I think the rest could be removed.

For myself, I hate every one of those utilities. Don't trust myself to any automatic registry cleaning, tweaking, file deleting, etc... Windows has way too much software and hardware and settings that can run on it for any utility to work properly with it.

I now lots of prople here recommend ccleaner, but I will go with a re-install of Windows before using it or a similar utility. The only time I use a "registrly cleaner" if it's part of a spyware of virus removal process.

Solution
You certainly have a right to be skeptical of registry cleaners. The wrong ones can do serious damage. Ccleaner is pretty conservative, and very safe. I've used it often in the past, and it's never once caused any bad side effect. On the contrary, I've used it to clean up garbage, and resolve some errors.

If you want, ccleaner has the option to backup the registry, before it does anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS