Two 'Program Files' directories in XP x64 !?!

Nils

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
Hi,

I just installed XP Pro x64 SP2 and I noticed there are two 'Program Files' directories. One called 'Program Files', as usual, and the other called 'Program Files (x86)'.
Do you have to install all your 32-bit programs in the 'Program Files (x86)' directory or is there no problem installing them in the normal 'Program Files' directory?

Thanks

Nils

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
Thanks for the reply.

But how about games in my case. I always install games to another partition, not the one containing the OS and both program files directories. If I want to install and play a 32-bit game, is it gonna work if installed to a different partition and thus not installed in the 'Program Files (x86)' directory?

Well if you haven't had any issues doing so in the past, you shouldn't have any issues doing it now. Best thing to do is just try it and see... you can always uninstall the game if it didn't work.

mosaaa

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2009
Microsoft had eccountered problems with 64 bits operating sys. since software
depends on 32 bit sys. then they had solved this problem using wow64 (windows 32 on windows 64 ) applications so they can solve 64 bit applications so you can find two folders on for 32 and the another on is for 64 software .
But in the future we will convert all our applications and software to 64 bits since it is the fast , Do you feel this?

Nils

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
Well, it's the first time I've ever run a 64-bit OS. Right now, I'm still using XP x86, but I installed XP x64 yesterday for a short while to see some of the basic things about it like more ram available for use. I haven't run any programs on it yet, so I haven't felt any extra speed yet.

My version also has the WoW64 emulator, but is it only working when you launch a 32-bit app from the 'Program Files (x86)' directory, or will it kick in when you run a 32-bit app from any location on the system?