Motherboard compatible with P4 and e4300?

noobsauce

Distinguished
May 3, 2007
Whoops, looks like I posted this in the wrong forum earlier.

Hi, I'm hoping to build a new computer this month, but don't want to miss out on the intel price drop next month.

This cash is burning a hole in my pocket and I'd frankly rather spend it on the computer now than beer next week, so my hope is to put my old computer's processor in until I buy an e4300 or maybe one of the new ones in it.

The old processor is a Pentium(r) 4 CPU 2.40 GHZ. That's what my computer displays under system; please let me know if there is something else I need to find out about it.

So is it plausible for me to find a decent motherboard that can run the 5-year-old Pentium 4 and also be ready for a newer processor?

Thanks for your help.

Whoops, looks like I posted this in the wrong forum earlier.

Hi, I'm hoping to build a new computer this month, but don't want to miss out on the intel price drop next month.

This cash is burning a hole in my pocket and I'd frankly rather spend it on the computer now than beer next week, so my hope is to put my old computer's processor in until I buy an e4300 or maybe one of the new ones in it.

The old processor is a Pentium(r) 4 CPU 2.40 GHZ. That's what my computer displays under system; please let me know if there is something else I need to find out about it.

So is it plausible for me to find a decent motherboard that can run the 5-year-old Pentium 4 and also be ready for a newer processor?

Thanks for your help.

I don't think so. Your 2.4 Pentium 4 requires a socket 478 motherboard. C2D requires a socket 775 MB.

noobsauce

Distinguished
May 3, 2007
Thanks, I was worried about that. I guess I'll just have to wait.

Now all the c2ds should require the same kind of socket, right? Maybe I should just buy a cheap one now and potentially upgrade to another one after the price drop.
Also, any idea whether the new dual and quad cores will use an LGA 775 as well?

bigblack

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2007
Thanks, I was worried about that. I guess I'll just have to wait.

Now all the c2ds should require the same kind of socket, right? Maybe I should just buy a cheap one now and potentially upgrade to another one after the price drop.
Also, any idea whether the new dual and quad cores will use an LGA 775 as well?
Yes, socket 775 will stay with us a little bit longer. Better not buy something now, it is only 40 days until July 22. Hold on and spend the money towards better parts when you get the full new pc.