Weird Motherboard Bug? MSI K8N Neo4

kyaxares

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2007
Either I have the weirdest MB bug or I simply have the strangest malware ever heard of.

Just a few days more than 2 years ago I bought the MS K8N Neo4. It has 4 SATA slots and I have a 160GB HD running on it. Since a few weeks I experience a shutdown and an (BIOS) error message that my HD cannot be found or that there is no system on it.

When I turn off the computer for like 10 minutes, everything is OK again. But sometimes I have to connect my HD to another SATA-port in order to get it back. The strangest thing is that I had to switch the SATA-ports that often that every one of the 4 was "broken" at least twice.

First I thought it was some cooling problem, but there is no increase in any of the temperatures that the BIOS can detect.

In the past everything was OK, things just happened some weeks ago. If I were paranoid I would think that there is a chip on the MB that activates right after the waranty expires and randomly shuts down the SATA ports.

Does anyone know this problem and does anyone know any solution?

I ran Ad-Aware and Avast more than 10 times now, but even with the most updated versions there does not seem to be any malware.

I am definitely in need of a helping hand here :)

regards

MOM

Either I have the weirdest MB bug or I simply have the strangest malware ever heard of.

Just a few days more than 2 years ago I bought the MS K8N Neo4. It has 4 SATA slots and I have a 160GB HD running on it. Since a few weeks I experience a shutdown and an (BIOS) error message that my HD cannot be found or that there is no system on it.

When I turn off the computer for like 10 minutes, everything is OK again. But sometimes I have to connect my HD to another SATA-port in order to get it back. The strangest thing is that I had to switch the SATA-ports that often that every one of the 4 was "broken" at least twice.

First I thought it was some cooling problem, but there is no increase in any of the temperatures that the BIOS can detect.

In the past everything was OK, things just happened some weeks ago. If I were paranoid I would think that there is a chip on the MB that activates right after the waranty expires and randomly shuts down the SATA ports.

Does anyone know this problem and does anyone know any solution?

I ran Ad-Aware and Avast more than 10 times now, but even with the most updated versions there does not seem to be any malware.

I am definitely in need of a helping hand here :)

regards

MOM

You could have a failing HD. I would try using a different SATA cable and even replacing the MB battery. You might try a different power lead from the power supply unit to the HD.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
I'd run the diagnostic/repair software from the hdd mfg. Also, try the drive in another computer as well as trying another drive in this one. Even though it's from another computer should run long enough to test it. Never a good idea to run an OS that was installed on another mobo for very long because of stability problems. If you haven't done so, clear the CMOS. You could also flash the BIOS with the latest version should all else fail