Wide desktop context menu in XP

simshaun

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2009
I've searched and searched and could not find anything that is related outside of a Windows 7/WinRar bug.

However, this is Windows XP. I only started having this problem after installing my new monitor's drivers & software.

desktopcontextmenuerror.gif

Using ShellExView, I've managed to figure out that it only occurs if I have items in the menu that have both an icon and a submenu (TortoiseSVN & TortoiseGit). I can not simply disable those though, because I use them on a daily basis.

Does anyone have an idea how I can fix this?

Nils

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
If you are sure it happened for the first time right after you installed the monitor drivers, just get rid of them. You don't need them for anything.

However, are you sure you mean monitor drivers and not graphic card drivers?

simshaun

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2009
Yes monitor drivers. Got a brand new high-quality monitor, installed the drivers (dont think this is the problem), installed the software for calibration and what not (I think this was the problem)... and now I have this problem.

I've already tried uninstalling though, to no avail.

Is there any setting in the registry that defines the widths of certain context items?

Nils

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
The problem with most uninstallers is that they still leave lots stuff behind without erasing it. Check the Add or Remove Programs tab in Control Panel and check if there are still some components present belonging to the monitor drivers

BTW: what font are you using in the menu's. I kinda like it and want to use it too ;)

simshaun

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2009
I'll keep tinkering and see if I can discover anything.

The font is Segoe UI. You should see my taskbar. Turned my XP into a semi-Windows 7ish look-a-like. :)

Nils

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
You should look for driver clean-up programs. They can remove the last bits and pieces of drivers. If nothing works, I would consider a Windows XP repair. However I'm afraid you will have to re-tune XP then to get it looking like Windows7.

Anyway, that look is just fantastic. The menu's look a lot brighter. How have you done that? That font you use, is it the standard Windows 7 font, which you have to add to XP?

simshaun

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2009
I've figured out the issue. It was some pivot software that got installed as well (my monitor rotates for both portrait or landscape mode). The stupid software added a horrendously long icon to the context menu. Apparently hiding the context entries for it does not fix the problem, only uninstalling the software.

I believe Segoe UI comes with Office 2007. I'm sure you can download it somewhere off the internet though.
As to the menu being brighter, Its probably something to do with the theme I'm using. That's all I can really think of.