Fujitsu Exits PDP business

Take a look:

<http://www.eetimes.com/sys/news/showArticle.jhtml;jsessionid=YN4PSJSCWDJTWQSNDBGCKHSCJUMEKJVN?articleID=59300415>

"Fujitsu expects an operating loss of about ¥12 billion (about $116
million) in its display business for the fiscal year ending March. Most
of the loss stems from its PDP business. "The panel price eroded more
than 30 percent per year. We cannot expect the market situation to
improve in the foreseeable future," said Masamichi Ogura, corporate
executive vice president of Fujitsu.

"By contrast, Hitachi is "ramping up output and cost reduction will
improve the business," said Kazuhiro Tachibana, president and CEO of
Hitachi Ubiquitous Platform Systems. "To realize it, we are going to
expand the PDP TV business."

"According to Hitachi, the PDP TV market in 2004 totaled about 2.7
million units, just 2 percent of the world total TV market of 130
million units. "We are optimistic about the growth," Tachibana said".

Matthew
3 answers Last reply
More about fujitsu exits business

    Matt, my understanding of this is that Fujitsu is not exiting the plasma
    business, but rather selling off their joint venture with Hitachi. This I
    believe affects only the ALIS displays (42" HD and 55" HD) and not their 50"
    HD, 63" HD or 42" ED displays. The joint venture panels were never
    particularly highly regarded among many plasma enthusiasts.

    Vidguy7 wrote:
    > Matt, my understanding of this is that Fujitsu is not exiting the plasma
    > business, but rather selling off their joint venture with Hitachi. This I
    > believe affects only the ALIS displays (42" HD and 55" HD) and not their 50"
    > HD, 63" HD or 42" ED displays. The joint venture panels were never
    > particularly highly regarded among many plasma enthusiasts.

    All I know is what is written in that article. It would be useful to the
    readers of the ng if you could cite some other published information
    about Fujitsu's plans.

    Matthew

    >All I know is what is written in that article. It would be useful to the
    >readers of the ng if you could cite some other published information
    >about Fujitsu's plans.

    The reason I said that is that the business arrangement that is being discussed
    always refer to the JOINT venture between Hitachi and Fujitsu. This venture
    only included ALIS panels which was the minority of the panels that Fujitsu
    produced. Fujtisu's other panels had no relationship or partnership with
    Hitachi.

HDTV TV Hitachi Fujitsu Home Theatre Product