mike_bison

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2007
I recently replaced my motherboard and proceded to format and install windows, but after the computer re-boots after the files are copied, I get a disk read error. I believe the master boot record is messed up, but the fix mbr command on my winxp cd doesnt seem to do anythig usefull. Both drives that were in my system previous to this won't work, both giving me the same error. I checked all of my jumper settins multiple times. Is there anything I should try? Any help would be great, thanks!

EDIT: I also tried MaxBLast and Seatools, neither worked as well. The harddrive is a 120GB Seagate. I've tried replacing the cables as well.

mike_bison

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2007
The error i get is right after windows xp setup has formated and copied the windows install files to the harddrive and restarts. Bios detects the drive, but it can't boot off of it. I just get the disk read error : hit ctrl+alt+del to restart.

The harddrive is IDE. Edit: I mean ATA sorry

In that case, it is highly possible the disk is damaged. You can borrow, download, reburn, copy, another XP disk and try it.

This is your most likely cause. I would first try to copy and reburn the disk if possible. Since both disks are doing it right after the reinstall, it is not likely that your hard drives are going bad.

In your bios, turn of boot sector virus protection, and make sure S.M.A.R.T. is turned on.

Note: to Mike: If bootsector virus protect were turned on, a red warning message would appear if an invalid change to the sector was being made.

mike_bison

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2007
Ok, I'll give it a shot, Ill keep you guys updated after its done, thanks for taking time from you're day to help me out, I really apreciate it.

mike99

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Have you tried the seatools diagnostic on the drives? Does your motherboard have two PATA controllers? If so, try using the other one. Could be faulty motherboard.

Mike.

mike_bison

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2007
Yeah I used the diagnostics, both drives passed. Th emotherboard booted up my previous windows install before I formatted it, so Im sure the motherboard is fine, I just used killdisk and the format is almost complete, soon I'll be able to see if it helps.

mike_bison

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2007
Well i got it to work, wierd thing was is that it wouldnt boot up as a primary master, so i think it could have been the cable, ill continue testing, but so far so good, thanks a million guys!