Microsoft tells you to use winamp...!

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

This is from a MS' FAQ:

"3.16 Why can't I play an MP3 file?
If you receive a message that contains error codes 0xC00D0BB8 or
0xC00D1199 when trying to play an .mp3 file, the problem might be
because the file has a compressed or unsynchronized ID3 header that
Windows Media Player does not support for security reasons.

For unsynchronized ID3 headers, see article 814129, "Error in Windows
Media Player 9 Series When You Play Specific MP3 Files," in the
Microsoft Knowledge Base.

For compressed headers or other ID3v2 data, you can use a tag editing
program to remove the information. For example, you can use the
Advanced WMA Workshop, available from the LitexMedia Web site. Or, you
can use Winamp 2.x, available from the Winamp Web site. To use Winamp
2.x, do the following:
Open the file in Winamp.
In the Playlist window, right-click the file, and then click File
Info.
Clear the ID3v1 tag and ID3v2 tag check boxes.
Click Update."

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/mp10/faq.aspx#3_16

LOL!

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Kenny

Why did you miss out the last line from the FAQ section..

"The file should now play in Windows Media Player."

Would it have spoiled your story, made it less 'funny'?

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

Kenny S wrote:
> This is from a MS' FAQ:
>
> "3.16 Why can't I play an MP3 file?
> If you receive a message that contains error codes 0xC00D0BB8 or
> 0xC00D1199 when trying to play an .mp3 file, the problem might be
> because the file has a compressed or unsynchronized ID3 header that
> Windows Media Player does not support for security reasons.
>
> For unsynchronized ID3 headers, see article 814129, "Error in Windows
> Media Player 9 Series When You Play Specific MP3 Files," in the
> Microsoft Knowledge Base.
>
> For compressed headers or other ID3v2 data, you can use a tag editing
> program to remove the information. For example, you can use the
> Advanced WMA Workshop, available from the LitexMedia Web site. Or, you
> can use Winamp 2.x, available from the Winamp Web site. To use Winamp
> 2.x, do the following:
> Open the file in Winamp.
> In the Playlist window, right-click the file, and then click File
> Info.
> Clear the ID3v1 tag and ID3v2 tag check boxes.
> Click Update."
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/mp10/faq.aspx#3_16
>
> LOL!

Can you even get WinAmp 2.x from their site anymore?

--
Peace!
Kurt

Mike Hall (MS-MVP) wrote:
> Kenny
>
> Why did you miss out the last line from the FAQ section..
>
> "The file should now play in Windows Media Player."

Probably he felt sympathetic to MS in their misery. "Use the other
guy's stuff to fix it so it will play in ours". Yoikes.

> Would it have spoiled your story, made it less 'funny'?

Actually, it makes it even more funny that MS tells someone to use a
competing utility to fix something so their own utility will make it
possible to play the file.

The whole thing is a laugh riot. Thanks, MS.

"deadman" <dead.man.posting@gmail.com> wrote in message

> Mike Hall (MS-MVP) wrote:
> > Kenny
> >
> > Why did you miss out the last line from the FAQ section..
> >
> > "The file should now play in Windows Media Player."
>
> Probably he felt sympathetic to MS in their misery. "Use the other
> guy's stuff to fix it so it will play in ours". Yoikes.
>
> > Would it have spoiled your story, made it less 'funny'?
>
> Actually, it makes it even more funny that MS tells someone to use a
> competing utility to fix something so their own utility will make it
> possible to play the file.
>
> The whole thing is a laugh riot. Thanks, MS.

I found it sooooo funny the other day when I went to a store to purchase a
product and they told me that they didn't have it in stock. The salesperson
suggested that I go over to a competitor's store and purchase the product
from them. I remember that while I was laughing my head off I kept thinking
the next time I need something I'll come back to this same store again after
all they tried to help me in spite of not being able to immediately fix my
problem themselves.

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Ok whats next from MS? If windows crashes, boot with knoppix (linux), fix it
and then you can use windows again?

> Ok whats next from MS? If windows crashes, boot with knoppix (linux),
> fix it and then you can use windows again?

There are lots of file formats Microsoft products don't support. RealPlayer
and Quicktime come to mind.

You'll enjoy this Microsoft site that mentions 1000's of non-Microsoft
products that they endorse.

http://www.windowsmarketplace.com/

> "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>> Kenny
>>
>> Why did you miss out the last line from the FAQ section..
>>
>> "The file should now play in Windows Media Player."
>>
>> Would it have spoiled your story, made it less 'funny'?
>>
>> --
>> Mike Hall
>> MVP - Windows Shell/User
>> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>>
>> "Kenny S" <hotmail@coldmail.com> wrote in message
>>> This is from a MS' FAQ:
>>>
>>> "3.16 Why can't I play an MP3 file?
>>> If you receive a message that contains error codes 0xC00D0BB8 or
>>> 0xC00D1199 when trying to play an .mp3 file, the problem might be
>>> because the file has a compressed or unsynchronized ID3 header that
>>> Windows Media Player does not support for security reasons.
>>>
>>> For unsynchronized ID3 headers, see article 814129, "Error in Windows
>>> Media Player 9 Series When You Play Specific MP3 Files," in the
>>> Microsoft Knowledge Base.
>>>
>>> For compressed headers or other ID3v2 data, you can use a tag editing
>>> program to remove the information. For example, you can use the
>>> Advanced WMA Workshop, available from the LitexMedia Web site. Or, you
>>> can use Winamp 2.x, available from the Winamp Web site. To use Winamp
>>> 2.x, do the following:
>>> Open the file in Winamp.
>>> In the Playlist window, right-click the file, and then click File
>>> Info.
>>> Clear the ID3v1 tag and ID3v2 tag check boxes.
>>> Click Update."
>>>
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/mp10/faq.aspx#3_16
>>>
>>> LOL!

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Of course that was the best thing they could do. They helped a customer and
showed they really cared about him even if they did not have something to
gain from it.

Good for them, and good for you to go back to them.

> "deadman" <dead.man.posting@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Mike Hall (MS-MVP) wrote:
>> > Kenny
>> >
>> > Why did you miss out the last line from the FAQ section..
>> >
>> > "The file should now play in Windows Media Player."
>>
>> Probably he felt sympathetic to MS in their misery. "Use the other
>> guy's stuff to fix it so it will play in ours". Yoikes.
>>
>> > Would it have spoiled your story, made it less 'funny'?
>>
>> Actually, it makes it even more funny that MS tells someone to use a
>> competing utility to fix something so their own utility will make it
>> possible to play the file.
>>
>> The whole thing is a laugh riot. Thanks, MS.
>
> I found it sooooo funny the other day when I went to a store to purchase a
> product and they told me that they didn't have it in stock. The
> salesperson
> suggested that I go over to a competitor's store and purchase the product
> from them. I remember that while I was laughing my head off I kept
> thinking
> the next time I need something I'll come back to this same store again
> after
> all they tried to help me in spite of not being able to immediately fix my
> problem themselves.
>

> --
>
> Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
> www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

funny debate.

"deadman" <dead.man.posting@gmail.com>
??????:1118241428.450722.181880@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

> Mike Hall (MS-MVP) wrote:
>> Kenny
>>
>> Why did you miss out the last line from the FAQ section..
>>
>> "The file should now play in Windows Media Player."
>
> Probably he felt sympathetic to MS in their misery. "Use the other
> guy's stuff to fix it so it will play in ours". Yoikes.
>
>> Would it have spoiled your story, made it less 'funny'?
>
> Actually, it makes it even more funny that MS tells someone to use a
> competing utility to fix something so their own utility will make it
> possible to play the file.
>
> The whole thing is a laugh riot. Thanks, MS.

Multi-group post thwarted.

MS is a slow, lumbering giant. It began in its infancy by buying software
code or the company that has license to that software code. Very similar to
Symantec of the past decade, if not longer.

In the bigger picture, MS must get its OS product out the door. They can't
get it all right, and expect it to be right 2 or 3 years down the road due
to changes in that time period. Their other software products are similar
in nature. Except for critical updates for security, their upgrading is
relatively slow. And what you've pointed out has been fixed by the latter.
There are many MSKB articles noting problems with previous MS OS products
that have similar connotations that are no longer valid for a simlar reason.
Sometimes they fix the article, sometimes they lag fixing the article to
show the fix.

Have a nice day.

"Kenny S" <hotmail@coldmail.com> wrote in message
> This is from a MS' FAQ:
>
> "3.16 Why can't I play an MP3 file?
> If you receive a message that contains error codes 0xC00D0BB8 or
> 0xC00D1199 when trying to play an .mp3 file, the problem might be
> because the file has a compressed or unsynchronized ID3 header that
> Windows Media Player does not support for security reasons.
>
> For unsynchronized ID3 headers, see article 814129, "Error in Windows
> Media Player 9 Series When You Play Specific MP3 Files," in the
> Microsoft Knowledge Base.
>
> For compressed headers or other ID3v2 data, you can use a tag editing
> program to remove the information. For example, you can use the
> Advanced WMA Workshop, available from the LitexMedia Web site. Or, you
> can use Winamp 2.x, available from the Winamp Web site. To use Winamp
> 2.x, do the following:
> Open the file in Winamp.
> In the Playlist window, right-click the file, and then click File
> Info.
> Clear the ID3v1 tag and ID3v2 tag check boxes.
> Click Update."
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/mp10/faq.aspx#3_16
>
> LOL!

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

And then what's your choice? go to their competitor's to enjoy uncertain
service?
Additionally, funny debate.
"Kenny S" <hotmail@coldmail.com> дÈëÏûÏ¢ÐÂÎÅ:Oob6riGbFHA.720@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...