Sign in with
Your question

Boot problem

Last response: in Windows XP
September 6, 2009 11:23:53 PM

Windows XP will no longer boot up on my computer, I have a dual boot system XP and Win 98. If I change my boot sequence to a FD and put in my Win 98 boot disk I can read the files on the C drive but Windows 98 will not run. If I try to boot with my original XP disk it wants to install on the C drive but I am worried that I will loose some files which are not backed up (e-mails, addresses, bookmarked web addresses) I am thinking of getting a new drive and doing a clean install of XP and then access the files on the original drive, what problems am I likely to have?

More about : boot problem

September 7, 2009 4:40:28 AM

That sounds like it will work. Or for cheaper you can buy one of those IDE/SATA to USB converters and get the data off the drive by plugging it into another computer via usb. Then installing XP fresh again.

Edit: The other thing is you could use the XP disc to do a repair install of XP. If you choose to setup XP on the same partition as the existing WinXP install it will ask you if you want to do a repair which means it will overwrite all the OS files but leave everything else intact. Meaning you will not notice a difference from before.
September 7, 2009 5:18:56 AM

Quote:
If I try to boot with my original XP disk

Try restoring the XP installation Boot files.

Boot to the XP install disk.

Enter the the first 'repair console' after install files have loaded.

At the command prompt type: FIXBOOT

Hit enter to restore XP boot files.
September 7, 2009 12:44:32 PM

Tekniqal said:
That sounds like it will work. Or for cheaper you can buy one of those IDE/SATA to USB converters and get the data off the drive by plugging it into another computer via usb. Then installing XP fresh again.

Edit: The other thing is you could use the XP disc to do a repair install of XP. If you choose to setup XP on the same partition as the existing WinXP install it will ask you if you want to do a repair which means it will overwrite all the OS files but leave everything else intact. Meaning you will not notice a difference from before.

Thanks for the response, I already have an IDE to USB converter that I can use and may try this approach first. Any idea where the e-mail addresses and web addresses are stored? Also, this IDE drive is 7 years old was this a sign that it is on the way out?
!