Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

More on JIT Debugger problem - I still need help

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
June 8, 2005 6:39:17 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

From what I read on the web, it seems highly likely that the problem
is due to the presence of DELL stuff on my friend's machine (DELL
Support, DELL Solution Center, etc). In fact, I can eliminate some
(not all) errors due to this JIT Debugger thingee by removing
'support.exe' from the task window,

Her machine came two years ago with XP HOME SP1 (OEM!) which I
upgraded to SP2 yesterday. I also downloaded/installed all of MS's
security updates.

I really want to remove all the DELL stuff from her desktop, etc, but
it won't let me do it. I have to wonder if her version of XP would
run without the DELL stuff anyhow.

I have looked to see where in the boot process, the DELL stuff is
picked up and started, but cannot find anything in the ini files, nor
in start folder. There are many references in the registry, but I am
afraid to remove them - and there are many.

Can anyone help me here?

Thanks
..

More about : jit debugger problem

June 8, 2005 6:39:18 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

geezer wrote:

> From what I read on the web, it seems highly likely that the problem
> is due to the presence of DELL stuff on my friend's machine (DELL
> Support, DELL Solution Center, etc). In fact, I can eliminate some
> (not all) errors due to this JIT Debugger thingee by removing
> 'support.exe' from the task window,
>
> Her machine came two years ago with XP HOME SP1 (OEM!) which I
> upgraded to SP2 yesterday. I also downloaded/installed all of MS's
> security updates.
>
> I really want to remove all the DELL stuff from her desktop, etc, but
> it won't let me do it. I have to wonder if her version of XP would
> run without the DELL stuff anyhow.
>
> I have looked to see where in the boot process, the DELL stuff is
> picked up and started, but cannot find anything in the ini files, nor
> in start folder. There are many references in the registry, but I am
> afraid to remove them - and there are many.
>
> Can anyone help me here?
>
> Thanks
> .

For goodness' sake, why wouldn't you just go to the Add/Remove Programs
applet to remove Dell's preinstalled software? If you go there, you'll
see that you can uninstall the Dell Media Experience, the Dell Solution
Center, and Dell Support - all of which you should do. I'm sure you are
a good friend, but perhaps having your friend take the machine to a
computer professional might be a better idea at this point.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
June 8, 2005 7:29:50 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 08:17:00 -0700, Malke <invalid@not-real.com>
wrote:
>For goodness' sake, why wouldn't you just go to the Add/Remove Programs
>applet to remove Dell's preinstalled software? If you go there, you'll
>see that you can uninstall the Dell Media Experience, the Dell Solution
>Center, and Dell Support - all of which you should do. I'm sure you are
>a good friend, but perhaps having your friend take the machine to a
>computer professional might be a better idea at this point.
>
>Malke


Owwcchh!

Cya
Related resources
June 8, 2005 8:30:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 08:17:00 -0700, Malke <invalid@not-real.com>
wrote:
>
>For goodness' sake, why wouldn't you just go to the Add/Remove Programs
>applet to remove Dell's preinstalled software? If you go there, you'll
>see that you can uninstall the Dell Media Experience, the Dell Solution
>Center, and Dell Support - all of which you should do. I'm sure you are
>a good friend, but perhaps having your friend take the machine to a
>computer professional might be a better idea at this point.
>
>Malke


Before I 'Cya', you should know that I did try removing DELL stuff in
Add/Remove Programs. It seemed the obvious thing to do.
It will not let me do it - even tried it in safe mode.

Cya2
June 8, 2005 8:30:03 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

geezer wrote:

> On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 08:17:00 -0700, Malke <invalid@not-real.com>
> wrote:
>>
>>For goodness' sake, why wouldn't you just go to the Add/Remove
>>Programs applet to remove Dell's preinstalled software? If you go
>>there, you'll see that you can uninstall the Dell Media Experience,
>>the Dell Solution Center, and Dell Support - all of which you should
>>do. I'm sure you are a good friend, but perhaps having your friend
>>take the machine to a computer professional might be a better idea at
>>this point.
>>
>>Malke
>
>
> Before I 'Cya', you should know that I did try removing DELL stuff in
> Add/Remove Programs. It seemed the obvious thing to do.
> It will not let me do it - even tried it in safe mode.
>
> Cya2

Then there is more wrong on the box than is apparent from your posts.
All those programs uninstall perfectly under normal circumstances; it
is one of the first things I do when I'm optimizing a Dell box for
clients.

I'm not trying to hurt your feelings when I suggest having a
professional look at it; I'm just being practical.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
!