Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 Installation

Last response: in Windows 7
December 4, 2009 8:38:58 AM

Hey, I have an Acer Aspire 7720 and I'm trying to install windows 7 fresh. I installed it as an update but now the power seems to cut out for some reason so I'm trying to install it fresh. However I can't get past the D2D recovery that was previously left behind by vista and when the windows 7 disk loads, it loads the files and freezes before the setup program continues any further... help?

More about : windows installation

December 4, 2009 9:41:06 AM

Have you got a install or utility disk with the other os to boot from and access disc utility's like f disk? You could just delete the partition then and start fresh.Google for the ultimate boot disk it should have all you need now that I come to think about it.
December 4, 2009 1:45:39 PM

Run memtest86+ and check for errors.
Run hard disk diagnostics from the manufacturer of the hard disk.
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
December 4, 2009 2:27:07 PM

Even if you have just an upgrade DVD, your best bet is to just wipe it. Do so by doing a custom install. Upgrades and such are a royal pain and will usually cause problems down the line. You're not going from 32 to 64 bit are you?
a b $ Windows 7
December 4, 2009 6:16:29 PM

To add to buwish's post, you will need to use your Windows 7 disk to boot with to wipe the partition and start again. I hope you backed up before starting.
If you have files that are not backed up and you can't afford to loose them, you may have to try an upgrade that will hopefully be succesfull and save all the previous files into a Windows.old folder.
In this case you obviously can't format the drive.
But you must run it after booting with the W7 disk.
!