onboard lan(Realtek RTL8168/8111 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC)??

Status
Not open for further replies.

shuttler

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
hi guys,

I am using onboard lan(Realtek RTL8168/8111 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC)...all is working fine, until three days ago the light @ the onboard lan failed to light up and i could not establish an internet connection....

Until yesterday, i manage to uninstall the network adapter under device manager, follow by a reboot and then install the new lan driver found on the gigabyte website and finally it manage to work till today(green light @ the lan port light up and able to establish a network connection)...

is this a bug or hardware issue or sth else??

or someelse oso have the same situation as me??

pls advice....thks u

timby

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2007
Has there been a thunderstorm recently in your area. I lost a NIC to a lightning strike.

In device manager, does the network adapter show a questions mark or a red X? If so you may have a driver problem or a bad NIC. Do you have another NIC card you can borrow to install and see if the problems persists.

Have you messed around with any cables?

Have you tried to test your NIC card by doing a loop-back test (ping 127.0.0.1)? This will tell you if the NIC is working.

If the NIC tests OK after loop-back test, try pinging the router/default gateway address (Ex: ping 192.168.1.1). This will test your gateway/router and the connecting network cable.

Sagittarius_lv

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
dont use windows update. after windows update present the newer driver 8111 fail to work 100mb in half and full duplex, but still work in 10 and 1gb. uninstall drivers and no probz (same probz on xp and win7, dont know about vista)

toosober

Distinguished
May 20, 2006
I have gigabyte board with a failed integrated nic. If disabling it from the device manager and re-enabling it does not fix it, it is probably hosed.

gamerx_67

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
All,
I just built a machine with based on the 8111 Gigabit board. I lost network connectivity as soon as I allowed Windows to update the driver to the latest one. DO NOT UPDATE. When I rolled back the driver, everything worked fine again. Note that this is a pristine system. Nothing else has yet been loaded.

Specs:
MA790XT-UD4P Gigabit Ultra Durable 3
AMD Phenom II X4 955 3.2GHz
4 GB 1666MHz ram
ATI Radeon 4770 512 MB
Windows Vista 64bit w/ SP1 (yuck) *upgrading asap to W7

I seriously hope this isn't a permanent problem or I'm taking the motherboard back. Any suggestions on another Mobo for this setup?

Ahhh, I should add that I'm using driver version 6.213.1110.2008 for the Gigabit motherboard (sorry!)

midhungirish

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
Hi all,
I have a home network with 2 computers. I have a Realtek RTL8168/8111 Family PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC on board in my system2 and the mother board is asus p5kpl am/ps.

I get my internet connection using a UTStarcom dsl router. I connected both systems to the router. In system1 i get 100 mbps connection and the net speed is good. But in the system2 i am getting only 10 mbps and net speed is very low.

The system1 is connected using a 3 meter cable and system2 using a 17 meter cable. The cable is cat5 and uses rj45 connectors.The cable but it works fine in my friends house when i use the same cable there. So it might not be faulty.

I tried solving the isuue by all methods i know like changing the NIC config parameters to override the autonegotiation to 1gbps but still the problem persists.

I haven't updated windows. i have just installed windows and still it is giving 10mbps only. I also tried installing windows 7. Also i used the driver which came from Realtek , but no use.

What can be the problem? Please give me a solution.

G

This is definitely a driver problem. I lost connectivity after a Windows Update. When I boot on a Linux partition the NIC works just fine. I have a GigaByte GA-MA790XT-UD4P running Vista Home 32 bit.
I can not get the driver to roll back. Short of reinstalling windows I do not know what to do.
Who wrote the windows update? Who is responsible for correcting this problem?

I will have license issues if I have to blow away my system and reinstall windows, again. One example is my AV. I do not want to have to burn another kaspersky license because I have to reinstall, windows.

ionianmode

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
I spent the better part of three days troubleshooting this issue. My board is a gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P. I put a Pci-e wireless card in for and extra networking option and it messed up my onboard LAN. Had to load fail safe defaults before the driver would install correctly again. It also has to do with Window 7 64-bit being finicky when it comes to the driver for this board.

RalphNZ

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2010
Augh! My DSL-302G modem/router and Planet FSD 803 switch
worked fine for literally years with my old motherboard, and
now i have a new Gigabyte GA-880GA-UD3H and it's all ... dead. I cannot connect to the interwebs via ethernet =(

The computer will still do the net via USB (eww) and my spare DSL-200 modem (meh).

The wee green light in the ethernet cable socket is on (lighted).
The switch and modem both indicate status: 'OK'
I have pinged 127.0.0.1 and got 100% instant returns, but is that testing the onboard ethernet realtek pcie gbe family controller, or the USB modem that I am actually having to use?
I have pinged 192.168.1.1 and got 100% returns in about 63ms.

I'ma play with this some more and come back if I get it cured (hopefully).

midhungirish - have you tried swapping the 3m cable for the 17m cable and see how connection1 goes? If that suddenly gets slow then it's the 17m cable that your system doesn't like, 17 meters might be a long way for the mailerdaemons to run?

RalphNZ

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2010
update - I have managed to get the DSL-302G going with USB, so I can now access 10.1.1.1 (or was it 10.1.1.2 ...eesh)

The problem seems to be in the (brand new never used Realtek Ethernet card built into the motherboard.

I have checked in the BIOS, it is [Enabled]

Windows says (after uninstalling/reinstalling the ethernet controller) "The device cannot start: Code 10"

anyone?

G

It is possible for the PHY to be placed into an 'awkward' mode.
There can also be unfortunate interactions between the PHY and
the PHY of the device to which it is connected.

If the the motherboard has the feature of being able to 'wake on lan',
then the ethernet interface is powered even when the motherboard is off.
As long as the power supply is still plugged in, then the network
interface will still be powered.

Completely removing power (and keep in mind there are capacitors
in the power-supply which could run the network interface for
some time even with power cord unplugged) for long enough,
will permit a hard-reset of the PHY.

I've also read where a software update of the driver can
cause problems to start.

Just be aware that you may NOT be fully resetting the chips involved
in the network interface, by simply powering down the system. You
might have to pull the plug for some time to fully reset the chips.
The chips can be placed into a mode from which the driver software
cannot recover. You could easily waste a whole day trying and
retrying and concluding your hardware is blown, if you never tried
pulling the plug for long enough.

bugmenot1983

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2010
F*** off, it worked.. Powered off, unplugged ethernet cable, tried to power on the computer, to discharge everything and then waited a coupe of minutes. Then plugged the cable back in, and now I got 1Gbps again.. Thank you very very very very much,

xopj

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2010
Ok thank god I just setup a new PC and thought I for sure had a dead ethernet port within 24 hours. I went through dozens of restores and fixes to no avail. Yanked the power cable, pressed the power button to empty the last surge of power and let it sit for about 8 minutes. Started it back up and it's working perfect! Thanks so much!!

mfreymond

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011
It is possible for the PHY to be placed into an 'awkward' mode.
There can also be unfortunate interactions between the PHY and
the PHY of the device to which it is connected.

If the the motherboard has the feature of being able to 'wake on lan',
then the ethernet interface is powered even when the motherboard is off.
As long as the power supply is still plugged in, then the network
interface will still be powered.

Completely removing power (and keep in mind there are capacitors
in the power-supply which could run the network interface for
some time even with power cord unplugged) for long enough,
will permit a hard-reset of the PHY.

Mr. Anonymous, I would like to thank you for solving my problem. After disabling WOL, and completely powering the system off (and draining the caps by attempting a power-on), I was able to connect once again.

G

+1 to that. Had the same problem with a brand new Gigabyte mobo and no network. Yellow mark in device manager.

Unplugging the power and draining the caps brought it to life. I owe the OP a beer!

homertheb

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2011
Mr. Anonymous, I owe you a beer.... Was fighting with a Realtek onboard controller that refused to do anything but 10 mbps for days. Then I stumbled upon your wisdom. I unplugged the computer, pressed the power button a couple times and waited 10 minutes. Plugged the computer back into the wall and fired it up and got a 1 gbps connection. Thanks...

TheVoid68

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
Great posting. In some cases you might have to unplug the PC power supply, and either remove the CMOS battery or ram as well. Had to unplug the PC, and pull out the CMOS battery in my case. All bios info is lost so make sure you write down your settings if you do not have a smart bios or excellent memory :)

My rig:
asus p8h67-mr lx.
Windows7 Pro 32 bits.

StephenH

Distinguished
May 2, 2011
Thank you many times over! This just happened to me. I am glad I had a netbook sitting right next to my desktop system. I was sure something had fried since the network was not connecting either in Windows 7 64 bit or Linux (Fedora 14, 64 bit).

I just followed the suggestion to power off, unplug the power cable, and press the power button to discharge any residual power (after also unplugging the network cable and powering off the monitor). After replugging and booting up, it is once again working like a champ (even though I don't have a gbit network running, max is 100 mbit).

rosterga

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2011
I cant't thank you enough. I fought the machine for 3 days with countless restores, driver installs. I thought I have a bad motherboard as the REALTEK 8111 is built in. Powering off the computer and unplugging for a few minutes reset the chips and I am back up!! Thank you! Thank you!.

Status
Not open for further replies.