Win XP Pro Boot Loader question

KrisInFla

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008
Hi everyone and thanks for reading.

I have a fresh install of Win XP on my C: drive and whenever I boot the PC I get options on which windows install to boot into. I had a Win 2000 install on my D: drive at one time but that drive has since been reformatted, so I'm at a loss as to why I have to choose an install at every boot.

I tried to rebuild the boot.ini file using the XP Setup Recovery console but that only added a 3rd option to the list of installs to choose from at boot-up. o_O

When I look at Startup and Recovery settings in the Advanced System Properties I see the following;

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional" /Fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect

The 1st line under [operating systems] is the one that showed up after using the recovery console,
the 2nd line is the is the one I was booting to before the recovery console rebuild, and
the 3rd line is the Win 2000 install on D: drive.

My question is, can I edit the startup options manually and delete the 2nd and 3rd lines, or is there another way to clean this up so my rig boots to the C: drive automatically every time?

Thanks a ton in advance for your time and help. :)