Free 7800GS - In the Spirit...

Wolfshadw

Titan
From PETEvsDRM's "Who wants a free 7900GT?"

Heh... Now I almost feel bad for selling my 7800GS. :oops: Lots of folks out there that could seriously use an AGP upgrade. Kudos to you, Pete!

-Wolf sends

Well... My 7800GS AGP buyer backed out, so let's keep this going. Same rules as before.

1. I am not rich myself, so you have got to live in the US, unless you want to pay for shipping yourself.

2. Pictures of the inside of your rig will help. If you have a handwritten note that says WolfShadw in the picture that would go a long way towards proving it is a real pic.

3. You can't be a rich guy who is just too lazy to upgrade, you have to have some reason why you can't get it yourself.

4. umm, I know this is kind of obvious, but you have to have an AGP slot....

So let's keep this going.

Entries must be in no later than Midnight EDT June 18th. Package will ship June 23rd. Good luck and again, Kudos to PETEvsDRM and Space1Monkey!

-Wolf sends

Edit: a couple images of the card:

The Original Box
Package Contents
The Card Itself

And btw... the "Win This Card" promo on the box is just a coincidence! 8)

betunn

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2006
Wow. As much as I would like to enter, I can't.

I have a PCI-E MB.

But anyways, good luck to all and keep the giveaways alive.

easye

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2007
My current system:

Athlon XP 2500+
1 gig RAM
6600GT
ECS KT 600A

As pointed out by later posts, if the system were really old, the potential of the card may be wasted. I think the 7800 would complement this system well. (Maybe I'll get to see those pretty explosions in COH :p)

case.JPG

Props to WolfShadw

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
Wolf

Firsteval, is nice from you to give away this card for free. Once again I have to congratulate another user from THG forums for doing this as they can sell this cards or just build another pc but they decide to give them for free which is something that u dont see everywhere.

Good luck to everybody and congrats to whoever wins this beast of a card.

just2good4u3434

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2006
Well I guess I could give this a shot...

My system:
Sony OEM box
Intel P4 2.6GHz
Asus P4sd-VX (It does have an AGP slot)
768Mb (3 sticks mismatched memory)
GeForce FX 5500

Here's the story, Im 15 years old, flat broke, and I love gaming on my computer. I am working a summer job at Dairy Queen, but i get paid minimum wage and the money is being saved for college and other future expenses. After my XBox broke, all I have is my PC to game on, but sadly I can't play ANY new games on it. I keep getting hyped up about new releases, but after buying and installing them I find out my system can only run (not play) these games at 800x600 at under 15fps, which isn't playable by anyone's standards. Right now I'm stuck to just playing Counter Strike and other low graphics intensive games. I would truely and honestly appreciate this card. Thanks for your generosity!

Wolfshadw

Titan
Well... I really expected a bit more of a response. I thought maybe since the title of the thread didn't say, "FREE" I wasn't getting the hits. Either way, we have two candidates so far (no worries, guys. You're still in the running). Let's see if we can get a few more over the weekend! Good Luck, everyone!

-Wolf sends

fender22

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2007
Well, I would like to commend you for this act, I knew what this thread would be, because I followed PETEvsDRM's thread... It's nice to see that this trend is continuing, especially on a practical level, of cards that can - for the most part - keep up with todays games. This is pretty cool... One thing thats seems a big funky though, is that the people that are most deserving might have a system that will bottleneck this card alot. but whatever, in the case of SPACE1MONKEY it was a good addition to the rig... Well, good luck to those that are deserving! :wink:

tauzins

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2007
p4 2.6
512mb
80gb
mx440

currently upgrading my own computer and wish to upgrade my parents computer so im low on cash, ive used this old computer for 4 years and it was horrible.

post screens later

99vw

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
I guess I will give it a try so here we go. About 6 months ago I started buying parts to build a new computer. However, I recently inherited a 97 Saturn with 200k mile that doesn't run so all the money I now get goes to my car to get it running. Right now I am having to use my hp 2800+ with a nvidia 6200. I have recently started to play Far Cry but I can only manage to get about 20-25fps on low settings which completely sucks. Any ways here is my HP. Oh and good luck to who ever wins.

104_0004-1.jpg

104_0002.jpg

Floyd_py

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2007
hi please choose me, the reason of why i want that card is that here in my country it`s too expensive (I`m From Paraguay in South America) would be almost impossible for me to have one and i`m tired of my on-board geforce 6100 would be nice to have that great 7800 would be a dream

the problem is that i don`t live in US but i can hardly aford the shipping so thats my story I have a great hope about this i would be very happy to have it anyway thanks and here are the pics of my PC thanks for this oportunity and for your generosity

I will be very happy if i get it

i ran out of battery and the camera stuck without flash that`s the reason for the dark pic.

xstec

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2006
Hi There

Great idea on the give away, it goes to show how much of a community this place is.

well my computer I have had for about four years and have been wishing to buy a new rig since last year, however just before xmas i got about £600 worth of bank charges (not very intelligent when it comes to banking) and have been paying it off since.

my setup:

amd athlon 2000,
768mb ddr333 samsung and nanya ram,
ati 9600,
Terrible jetaway mobo.
280 gig worth of hdd's

I saved up and bought an asrock dualvsta mobo and an amd athlon 3200 cpu with the intention of using my older components such as ram hdd and gfx until i could afford new components. however i nothing worked and i figured (with the help of THG posters) that athlon 64 cant use ddr333 memory, and have not been able to even buy a stick of ddr400 to get it running. so my unused mobo and cpu have been sitting there gathering dust under my bed since august 06.

I am at work at the moment so i can take some pics when i finally get home later and upload then.

Thanks.

X

lordaardvark2

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2005
Hey Wolfshadw, and all posters. Threads like these, although few in number, really just make me feel great about people in general, and some residents of these Forumz. I wish that I could express with words how amazing the deeds of such posters as Wolfshadw, Space1Monkey, and PETEvsDRM. You guys rock!

My system is pretty weak and aged, but I love it to pieces. My specs go a little something like this:

Socket A Sempron @ 1.8 Ghz
768 Megs of DDR266 mem
Radeon 9550
Aged Abit Mobo
160 gig HDD

I'm a 16 yr. old school student, who probably got into computers around the age of 10. My neighbor built a computer and it was the most amazing thing in the world to me. Anyway, I took some classes and did a ton of research and learned as much as I could about computers, in hopes that I could build myself something good enough to play Red Alert 2 or Diablo 2 (lol), because our home computer with an AMD K-3 proc pretty much BLEW.

I got pretty knowledgeable, but never had the money to do anything with it. So, I started showing my friends some stuff, and got them into computers. And, of course, with their rich parents and what not, they all went off and built their own computers... it wasn't so cool, but drips with funny irony when I think back about it. :)

I was living a torturous life with the K6-2 computer up until LAST YEAR 8O , when my friends started to REBUILD, and recycled their old parts to me. So, thats how I got my system, from scrounging the refuse of my friends. Its quite a Frankencompy, and its pretty ugly to boot, but I LOVE IT TO PIECES. Sure kicks the K6-2 in the teeth :lol:

Its very frustrating to Rely on the Kindness of Strangers [/A Streetcar Named Desire], and to not be able to build for myself yet. I WILL eventually build, but then again, I've been saying that for like 6 years now.

Here are some pics of the Frankencompy. Sorry for writing so much, but please consider my rig. I do live in USA, and have an aged AGP-compatible MOBO. With a 7800, I may actually be able to game without thinking my computer is about to explode! Thanks for your time.

Beautiful case, I know (you can see the K6-2 system to the left, in the background :D ).
DSCF2169.jpg

The Guts.
DSCF2170.jpg

Custom HDD cage (because the case that my friends gave me didn't have one :lol: )
DSCF2172.jpg

Wolfshadw!!!
Wolfshadw.jpg

Mah Specs (note: Nice skin, huh? Alas, NOT Vista :cry: )
myspecs.jpg

Thanks again for your time, best of luck to all, and lets all remember to revere the Kindness of Strangers!

lordaardvark2

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2005
Forgive me for posting after myself, but this thread deserves a BUMP! I really can't believe that this thread isn't at least 5 pages by now; the other threads with similar scenarios took off. Are there really that few AGP users left...?

Kari

Splendid
One thing thats seems a big funky though, is that the people that are most deserving might have a system that will bottleneck this card alot.
Yep, its ironic isn't it. :lol:
I have 7800GS with AMD 3000+ and I think my proc is holding me back somewhat, because I can moderately increase/decrease the resolution in some games and still get about the same frames per second I had previously. Of course if I really crank it up I get really low frames as expected, but in the low end there seems to be this 'stable' zone. and 100% processor usage might be a sign aswell :p

Mathos

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
Tom1.jpg

Looking at the system specs of others that have entered, I wish everyone else that has entered good luck.

MSI K9MM-V Mobo (has agp slot)
AMD Athlon X2 4200+
Geforce FX5600 Ultra 128mb AGP video card
1024 MB DDR2 800 (cheapo dual channel kit)
160GB Seagate SATA
40GB Quantum Fireball ata133(have had this thing since 1998 and it still runs good, got it right after Maxtor bought out Quantum)

Pretty much how I ended up there, was the old system started to break down, the fan on the northbridge chip stopped working. Since it was a socket A board, I couldn't find a replacement around where I live, or most places online. Decided since I could get it cheap enough I'd just go ahead and get an AM2 mobo for $50 and got ahold of the X2 4200+ while it was nice and low. Ended up having to buy a new Power supply to run it too, which left me unable to afford a new video card. In fact, picked up the board I'm using so I could continue to use the old agp card. Otherwise I wouldn't have a working computer at all right now.

Working at Wal-Mart, every time I walk through the computer software area and go, dangit, I can't run this game. After looking at the system reqs for video, things like Jade Empire, and many other newer games.

Sorry bout the poor pic quality, the only camera I have is an old Logitech Quick Cam.

paul_baker

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006
here is my computer it is old but has a agp slot.
it is a athlon xp 1500+ with 384mb of ram a dvd drive and a pci video card with 2mb of ram on it. yes you read that correctly it is 2mb of ram.

i seriously need to upgrade my computer i built it when xp first came out almost 6 years ago and cant afford the upgrades it would need to get it up to current standards.

i have 3 children so i cant just put all my money into a computer and when i ask my wife if i can put even 40 into it for a new part she says no.
and yes i live in USA

here are the pics of the computer and please select me to recieve your gift.

case.jpg

Photo of case
case2.jpg

photo of computer from side
case3.jpg

photo of pci video card im using
screenshot.jpg

screen of video properties

edited by me to correct video memory and add pic

Malaga93

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2007
Hey wolfshdw you are a great person for doing this.
So here is my story:
I'am a 16 year old high-school student, i'am poor but i managed to update my current agp system a bit.This card will cheer me up because i'm in a very bad period of my life, my parents are divorcing so i'm very depressed.
I've updated my system a bit, but i'm still with my radeon 9200se, so this card will help me a lot.Also i live in the states.

My Rig:
Asus P4V8X-X
Pentium 4 2.8Ghz
512mb ddr400
Ati Radeon 9200se
Hitachi 40Gb

Pictures to come...

Nitro350Z

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2006
Here is my entry.

My rig specs are in my sig.

It is a rather old rig, and has been upgraded many times to try and get more value out of it. Recently I was planning on buying a new computer that would be almost top of the line, and have been saving up to buy it, but unforseen circumstances have forced me to delay it for quite some time. The first thing that struck was a watertank that broke and had to be replaced, right after that the rear axel of our car became bent in an accident and again cost a pretty penny to repair. And third, for good luck?, the compressor in our fridge went out and the fridge had to be replaced. In essence these three major "setbacks" and a few minor ones have effectively delayed me building a new computer. The only thing I managed to buy before anything major happened was the case. Now all I'm left with is a nice, and empty, CM Stacker 830 sitting in my closet...

As for the upgrades of the old one, I inherited the IBM drives from my dead uncle and he partly finaced the initial building of the computer, he's a completely different, and long, story. But for the basics, he was rich, but stupid and left practically nothing but a few computers and a ton of problems for me and my family. The rest of the upgrades were for the most part purchased when they were dirt cheap, usually from some great sale or bundle deal. (not sure if I'm allowed to mention it but, pricenetwork is your best friend if you're in canada (mods remove this if it's inapropriate.)) Its been fun trying to mod everything on a tight budget. But I think I've done everything I can to speed up my system with my current financial standing.

This system has been good for many things but it has really showing its age after all these years. The one thing that I hate about my rig are my IBM drives, I'm down from 4 to 2 now. 2 more to the pile of broken IBM drives, the total death count is now at 10, Horrible drives IMO.

I do live in Canada, so I'll cover the shipping.

EDIT: Photobucket is working now so here's my pic
P1010011-2.jpg

Thanks.

liquidx

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2005
Well, I will throw my hat into the ring and see if you decide to hold it up. To start some people might throw up a red flag because I had recently posted specs of a computer I thought I was going to get to build due to some inherited money (couple grand) well, when my parents found out that I had inherited that money, they decided that I didn't need their help in buying all the stuff I need for my baby that's on the way, sooo... most of my money went to that, and I had about $200 left and was going to get a new mobo and cpu (asrock dual vista and the E4300) when my hard drives failed on me again and I ended up having to spend the money on a new hdd, and since the price was right and my optical drives where wonder drives (as in I wonder if they are gonna work) I bought a new DVD burner, it was only $35 out the door, I couldn't pass that up. So once again, I have to try and save up my money to upgrade to the asrock board and E4300 chip. Hoping in the approximated 6 months it will take me to get that money together that the prices might come down a bit. So here are my system specs:

Asus A7N8X-Deluxe board
Athlon XP 2500+ (had to remove the oc I had on it for so long, it was becoming unstable)
1 gig DDR
Samsung 400 gig sata drive (this is my new one)
Samsung dvd burner
Linksys 54G pci card
Leadtek WinFast A280 LE TD MyVIVO edition (128MB) 8x AGP
with jimmy rigged cooling due to weird heatsink on vid card and my original fan went out, so I used a old low profile fan from another socket A cooler to keep it cool. Works most of the time. just can't OC it.

and you will see in the pics my old stuff that I have some of it connected, but its not being used due to high failure rate:
80 gig WD drive
120 gig Maxtor drive
LG dvd-rom
Sony dvd-burner

PeteVsDRM-002.jpg

This was a pic of sys before upgrade
PeteVsDRM-001.jpg

And here is now:
wolf-002.jpg

Showing some love:
wolf-001.jpg

new burner courtesy of my grandfather (R.I.P)
wolf-003.jpg

Started, but never finished, custom paint job :D:
wolf-004.jpg

Here is the best pic of my ol' lady that I could find (shes asleep, and if you have ever been with a pregnant woman, you know you don't wake the sleeping grizzly):
pic060207_3.jpg

And my daughter, due sept 27, 2007:
pic042507_1.jpg

So that's that. Oh and just to make clear, I am not looking for any sympathy about my parents not paying for my baby's stuff. I understand why they did, it and fully respect it. It just sucks that I was all hyped thinking that for the first time in a really long time I would be able to play my games at a res higher than 1024*768, and now I can't. Heck even at that res my favorite game in the world, UT2004 peaks at 60fps, but mostly runs at 25-35 fps, depending on how intense the warfare is. I just seriously want this card so I can play UT2007 (or UT3) whatever they are gonna end up calling it, when that comes out. Plus I wouldn't mind trying some of the games that I have tried before but would only run at like 10fps on my system. So any questions, or qualms about my posts, please let me know and I will answer as a gentleman. I would like to point out that PeteVsDrm did a great job getting the gamers spirit going, and the pass it on that Space1Monkey and now WolfShadW, You guys are kings among men.

If I don't win, then congrats to the person that does, and I wish you all the best of luck in all you do!