Stress Test MK II

Action_Man

Splendid
Jan 7, 2004
Let the controversy begin!

Some people are like slinkies....
Not really good for anything but you cant help smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.

hermitd

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2005
i think they realised that divX encoding was not running on X2 system.. and they started it a few mins back... the counters now showing it as running for 10 mins :)

i guess X2's arch is better... so i dont think intel dual proc is gonna be pulling on a fast one... (the only one i think it can is video encoding)

Regards,

Hermit Dave

Starfishy

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2004
Just looking at the clock speed suggests that Intel's dual core processor offers greater performance. But even Intel has stopped talking about clock speed and now uses code designations.
This is THG lingo for "Yes we are Intel Fanboys, but we want to appear, I mean, remain unbiased"

Starfishy

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2004
Ok, as everyone here knows I have a strong bias towards AMD and have built exclusively AMD systems for at least a year now.

That said, it is somewhat embarassing how much intel kicks our ass at video editing. I know that this is the only place on the stress test that intel is currently winning, but they are not just winning, they are raping.

Porkster

Distinguished
May 13, 2005
Why do benchmarks continue to use utilities and applications that suit AMD CPU's, or Intel for that matter.

I would have thought it more general a test if they used Windows XP Zip, rather than WinRar.

Any programs that are developed on Linux and have a windows joint build are most likely programmed/compiled from a AMD perspective, so they should also be avoided.

3DMark2005 Graphics test in a loop would have also been more fair a test than Farcry. Least 3DMark is testing latest graphics formulas and based on general coding for Direct X, than a sales pitch for particular branding like 3DRealms or the makers of Farcry.

Why do benchmarks continue to use utilities and applications that suit AMD CPU's, or Intel for that matter.

They aren't built to suit a particular processor, each architechure has its own pros and cons.

Any programs that are developed on Linux and have a windows joint build are most likely programmed/compiled from a AMD perspective, so they should also be avoided.

LOL - wtf?

3DMark2005 Graphics test in a loop would have also been more fair a test than Farcry

Why?

Schmide

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2001
Intel is definitely <A HREF="http://www.tomshardware.com/stresstest/index.html" target="_new">idle.</A>

Dichromatic for your viewing plesure...

endyen

Splendid
11.69 is a little low. 11.49 is worse. It may still be within the 5%, but only just. I sure wouldn't keep a psu that dropped that far. These are supposed to be high end units.

edurm

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2002
WHAT THE [-peep-]

WHY DIVX???

90% of all Good encoders are Using XVID instead, Beside its has Better Quality results it is not Otimized for Pentium4 Macro Architeture.

Shame on you THG :D

Schmide

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2001
Woot Intel is crunching away again, It seems to be for the past hour or so.

AMD seemed to have a few bumps at 6am and 8am but still looks to be crunching away.

Although I thought the DIVX was not running on AMD, it has moved up to 20min done.

Intel can definatly handle 4 major processes better due to HyperThreading. I think amd would win a 2 legged race though.

Dichromatic for your viewing plesure...

HansGruber

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2005
it is somewhat embarassing how much intel kicks our ass at video editing. I know that this is the only place on the stress test that intel is currently winning, but they are not just winning, they are raping.
It's windows that gives less priority to background tasks as default.
Since AMD has 2 CPUs instead of Intels 2+2 virtual cpu's, windows is able to share loads more evenly for Intel.

So it is a windows issue, not "intel winning" becouse it's better.
Guess why they did choose 4 tasks ?

I believe that AMD system has defective PSU or something, it's not normal to so low voltages.. (11.2v)

ps.i wonder why there is no power consumption separately for Intel and AMD...

Porkster

Distinguished
May 13, 2005
This test is pointless. Without setting the process of the Divx thread as a high priority, the test is flawed. It's clear the AMD CPU is working on the other tasks alot more than it's Divx thread.

So if you compare the AMD lack of ability to perform a general work load, the AMD is failing big time. The Intel 840 is doing all the tasks very well, equally.

I would also like to see test applications/utilities that are standard, like Windows XP Zip-Folders, 3DMark2005 graphcis loop, etc.

Porkster

Distinguished
May 13, 2005
It seems AMD is failing the workload.

If you examine the inabilities of the AMD to do all four tasks equally, it appears that the AMD is getting congested with it's instruction queue for the difficult task of Divx encoding and the instructions for the other tasks are taking its command.

The Intel is equally doing all tasks, but the AMD is failing to balance the load of the multitasking. This could indicate that AMD maybe the worse in a server environment as one task maybe abandoned whilst others get somewhat faster attention. This is a major hit on AMD's poor design.