Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • Heatsinks
  • Fan
  • Product
Last response: in Motherboards
June 14, 2007 1:11:47 AM

Hi guys,

I am trying to install a heatsink/fan on my Asus A8N Sli Deluxe motherboard. The problem is I can't find the tabs to attach the heatsink to. Are the tabs facing the back of the board (where the input/output ports are and the opposite side where the Ram slots are? Or is it where the sli slots are and the opposite side of that? I am visually impaired (legally blind) but will like to learn to do this stuff on my own. I am using magnifying glasses, but I still can't seem to find the tabs. I would appreciate any help I can get as I am doing this to retrieve the data off my computer. It is a socket 939 board with an Athlon 64 3000+ chip. Links to diagrams will help. I can't seem to tell from the manual as well.

I would appreciate any help. I am also doing this for a learning experience.

Ron

More about : installing heatsink fan

June 14, 2007 2:19:02 AM

Here is a review of your mother board. I hope I got the right one. If you click on some of the pictures to enlarge them you can see the retainer clip for your heat sink on the board. Hopefully you can figure out how they attach.

http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NzAz
June 14, 2007 3:01:03 AM

Quote:
Here is a review of your mother board. I hope I got the right one. If you click on some of the pictures to enlarge them you can see the retainer clip for your heat sink on the board. Hopefully you can figure out how they attach.

http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NzAz

Thank you> I will check it out. Also here is the link to the heatsink/fan I am trying to install. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

To me, it looks like this heatsink/fan is took big for the socket.

I checked your link out. Man, that board looks exactly line mine, and I can actually see the tabs in the pictures. However, my board doesn't have those tabs. There is no tabs to the left or the right of the screw holding down the retainer, just the one screw in the middle. This goes for both sides.
I am confused. More suggestions are welcomed. As a matter of fact, my board has 4 vertical studs/poles at the end corner of the retainer.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
June 14, 2007 4:18:04 AM

Now did this system have a heat sink on it at one time? I assume you had the stock heat sink on there.....? What is the history with the board/system?

I picked up a Thermaltake heatsink from Radioshack similar to the one you have. I put it on a MSI mother board with a 939 3200+ cpu for a LAN machine. It went on there with no problems at all. I am at a loss about your board. Strange it does not have the right tabs on it.
June 14, 2007 1:22:56 PM

Quote:
Now did this system have a heat sink on it at one time? I assume you had the stock heat sink on there.....? What is the history with the board/system?

I picked up a Thermaltake heatsink from Radioshack similar to the one you have. I put it on a MSI mother board with a 939 3200+ cpu for a LAN machine. It went on there with no problems at all. I am at a loss about your board. Strange it does not have the right tabs on it.

I had this system built for me two years ago. I was too chicken to do it with my vision being legally blind (don't need to use a seeing eye cane). All of a sudden the heatsink/fan stopped working. I needed to change it. This is what it had.
Thermalright XP-90 Multiple Heatpipes CPU Heatsink - Retail. I would link it, bu thte link didn't work when I inserted it here. Sorry.

Hey, but take a look at the fourth picture. It looks like they took off the retainer that shipped with the board and put on this one to hold the colling unit. Now I don't remember seeing this in the box when hey sent me the computer. However, is there anywhere I can pick up one if I can't get my hands on the original that came with the board?

Thanks for your help so far. I look forward to your input.

Ron
June 14, 2007 3:55:35 PM

Ok so it had a different heat sink on it and they changed the retainer clip on the mother board so they could mount a different heat sink. So I guess you don't have the old retainer clip sitting around?

Here is a retainer clip. Check out the link maybe this one will work.

FrozenCPU is a good retailer if you decide to order from them.

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/977/bra-02/FrozenCPU_...
June 14, 2007 7:40:47 PM

Update: I called the company that built the computer and explained the problem to them. They are going to ship the retainer that came with the board. The guy said it was the last one they had. Hopefully, I will get it soon and I can boot the system back up.

Also, I damaged the heatsink a little on the sides, the part that looks like the copper vents, will that affect anything? I hope not. One or two of the copper vent got spread apart a little.

Thanks for your help.
June 14, 2007 8:28:19 PM

Well that was lucky. Hopefully they will send you the retainer clip and the back piece as well. As far as the heat sink goes I doubt that a few bent fins will really effect the cooling that much. Just becareful putting it on the board so you don't dammage the board. Those heat sinks are fairly easy to put on.
June 14, 2007 8:49:53 PM

Quote:

Also, I damaged the heatsink a little on the sides, the part that looks like the copper vents, will that affect anything? I hope not. One or two of the copper vent got spread apart a little.

Thanks for your help.

It only partially disrupts air flow. I don't see it causing a huge problem, you might see a degree (or two at most) change.