AMD workstation market share sink to new lows

xpresso

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/32460/118/

AMD's main niche is getting trashed. expect Q2 losses to be more than Q1, this is getting beyond ugly for AMD :)

xpresso

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
Why would you smile? A strong AMD keeps Intel prices lower.[/shrug]

I could care less for AMD, as much as I'd like to see them give Intel serious competition and win market share, AMD needs to come clean, they've been lying their ass off for the past 9 months and screwing the consumer. The closer the trainwreck, the faster their management is shaken up to get back on the right track

rationality

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2007
More retarded financial analysis from the peanut gallery...

Your link indicates that segment revenue (workstation market) was about 1.7 billion in Q1 of which Intel had a 92% share- presumably AMD had all or close to all of the remaning 8% (they clearly didn't have more than 8%). 8% of 1.7 billion is 136,000,000 - that means that at most the workstation market accounted for about 11% of AMD's revenue (1.233 billion) during Q1. Not sure I would classify 11% as a main niche...

AMD's loss during the second quarter is going to depend on a lot of things that neither you or I (or even AMD's management) can accurately predict.

Accurate financial forecasting in the technology segment is difficult/impossible for people who know what they're doing - most of the people here are just throwing bold claims out in hopes that something sticks.

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
More retarded financial analysis from the peanut gallery...

Your link indicates that segment revenue (workstation market) was about 1.7 billion in Q1 of which Intel had a 92% share- presumably AMD had all or close to all of the remaning 8% (they clearly didn't have more than 8%). 8% of 1.7 billion is 136,000,000 - that means that at most the workstation market accounted for about 11% of AMD's revenue (1.233 billion) during Q1. Not sure I would classify 11% as a main niche...

AMD's loss during the second quarter is going to depend on a lot of things that neither you or I (or even AMD's management) can accurately predict.

Accurate financial forecasting in the technology segment is difficult/impossible for people who know what they're doing - most of the people here are just throwing bold claims out in hopes that something sticks.

Good points. Would have been far more effective with out the: "More retarded financial analysis from the peanut gallery..."

xpresso

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
stick around dimwit and we'll see what AMD Q2 earnings will bring. In the meantime, you may want to pick a few publications to catch up on AMD's financials and market share effect on their profits.

AARRGGHHH

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007

I can't speak for someone else, but I'll smile because of the piece of crap Athlon 600 they sold me years ago. I hope they survive with just enough market share to keep Intel honest. That's all AMD deserves.

Hey, you asked !

djgandy

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
This is all part of AMD's plan to bankrupt Intel. Isn't it obvious? By giving Intel all the market share Intel will make so much money their bank balance will overflow and end up at 0.

Mandrake_

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2006
This is all part of AMD's plan to bankrupt Intel. Isn't it obvious? By giving Intel all the market share Intel will make so much money their bank balance will overflow and end up at 0.

Are you sure you're not Sharikou in disguise? :lol: :lol: :lol:

The way Sharikou talks about AMD "finishing Intel off once and for all" as if Intel is on it's last gasp of breath is absolutely hilarious! :lol:

KingLoftusXII

Splendid
Jan 17, 2006

I can't speak for someone else, but I'll smile because of the piece of crap Athlon 600 they sold me years ago. I hope they survive with just enough market share to keep Intel honest. That's all AMD deserves.

Hey, you asked !

Good point. We all know Intel has never released anything but pure perfection. :roll:

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/32460/118/

AMD's main niche is getting trashed. expect Q2 losses to be more than Q1, this is getting beyond ugly for AMD :)

This is not as bad as it seems as AMD realized that the low end volume was what they needed this year.

Of course I think it's partially due to the partiality of vendors for nVidia GPUs. If you look at who reported this Jon Peddie does mostly graphics analysis. He reported earlier this year that nVidia and Intel were getting more of the wksta business because of the availability of quad core.

Wkstas aren't as close to servers as they are replaced on a shorter schedule due to improved HDDs, GPUs and NICs (scale up). Servers are handled as scale out.

Now I'm not Jon Peddie but this may also be because there has been no word from ATi about the latest FireGL for HD2000. Had there been better progress on that then AMD would have split the GPU share moreso with nVidia.

It was reported that the B2 stepping is due in a few days that will hopefully fix the clock speed problem(Fuad and I think Anand mentioned it). If so then the upgraders can pop in Barcelonas sooner.

The biggest issue I see for them is that there is no HT3 chipset for MP servers or wkstas. The deals are piling up on the low end though which can more than account for server share if not revenue share.

At least more places are starting to admit that AMD hasn't misfired, they don't have 10 Fabs and a large war chest. With the resources they have they're being really smart. They have enough of a presence in server and wksta (how many movies are made with Opteron/Quadro?) that they can go the low end volume route until Kuma/Agena.

Barcelona needs to go out by next month though. 2P and 4P. Hopefully they are dong some of the runs in the joint IBM fab to keep Brisbane coming out of Fab 36.

But then if Chartered can ramp quickly, that gives more room for Barcelona derivatives. This is a complex business and I always say NetBurst showed that you don't have to be the fastest to sell well.