Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

New Intels

Last response: in CPUs
Share
June 14, 2007 2:50:14 AM

Does anyone know what the prices and model names of the upcoming penryn processors? Also any exact release dates (down to a month)?

More about : intels

June 14, 2007 3:16:36 AM

Use the search button n00b!
a c 99 à CPUs
June 14, 2007 4:09:51 AM

I'm sure some guys at Intel have a clue. We don't even know what clock speeds will be released yet, let alone price or a vague late 2007/early 2008 ship date. The only stuff we do know is that the chips will be pretty similar to the current Core 2 line but with 50% more L2 (3 MB, 6 MB for the Duos, 12 MB for the Quad) and will support SSE4 and a few other tweaks. The FSB will be 1333 MHz on the top chips and the chips will need a 35/38 series motherboard- no 965s or 975s AFAIK. Oh, and they'll be LGA 775 like the current chips.

Intel demoed the quad-core MCM part (Yorkfield) at 3.00 GHz and the dual-core part (Wolfdale) at 3.33 GHz in a very limited test suite a little while back. TDPs were not given but supposedly it's not that much different than current Core 2 Duos and quads.

I know what you're aiming at- the eternal "when's the best time to buy" problem. The solution is simple: buy when you need to. If your computer is broken, get a new one now. If it's running fine, then buy a new one when it breaks or gets too slow for you to use. Or when you have the funds to replace it. Or if there's a big sale. Don't make your purchasing decisions based on what might be coming or not as there will ALWAYS be something better just over the horizon. That's how tech works. Trying to fight it is like trying to fight Rosie O'Donnell for the last chicken thigh in the bottom of a bucket of KFC. You may try all you want, but you won't be successful. I'd consider tech a little easier because at worst case, you end up spending a little more money or getting a slightly older part, not getting your fingers eaten off by Rosie as she inhaled the chicken you just grabbed in one gulp, fingers and all.
Related resources
June 14, 2007 6:31:03 AM

Quote:
Trying to fight it is like trying to fight Rosie O'Donnell for the last chicken thigh in the bottom of a bucket of KFC. You may try all you want, but you won't be successful. I'd consider tech a little easier because at worst case, you end up spending a little more money or getting a slightly older part, not getting your fingers eaten off by Rosie as she inhaled the chicken you just grabbed in one gulp, fingers and all.


What have you been smoking?! 8O

Can I have some?
June 14, 2007 7:05:33 AM

Quote:

Don't make your purchasing decisions based on what might be coming or not as there will ALWAYS be something better just over the horizon. That's how tech works. Trying to fight it is like trying to fight Rosie O'Donnell for the last chicken thigh in the bottom of a bucket of KFC. You may try all you want, but you won't be successful. I'd consider tech a little easier because at worst case, you end up spending a little more money or getting a slightly older part, not getting your fingers eaten off by Rosie as she inhaled the chicken you just grabbed in one gulp, fingers and all.


LOL, that's pretty good. I got my dual core when I needed it, and my wife got the P4 Northwood until I get her the AMD dual core mobo she wants. I originally had an X2 3800+ Windsor in my box but I made the mistake of using MSI Live to update drivers etc. Well, I should have clicked on "no" as far as flashing the bios goes. The meshugge program installed the wrong bios and the board wouldn't boot.

When I got it replaced, I'd already decided to go for the X2 4600+ and build my wife a system around the X2 3800+. We just have to wait till the vacation's over to afford the board and the PCIe card. Since she wants AVIVO and the X2600's are delayed, that's perfect timing for September.

Now, I think I'd rather fight Rosie for that chicken than deny my wife the Seagate terabyte drive (or two) she ideally wants in her system. With her graphics classwork, modding and anime fansubs, she needs space for more than just the games she likes.

Build or buy when needed and not before. I could afford my build this spring because I didn't need an 8800. I wanted one, but I will only need it when the DX10 titles arrive come the holiday season, and I can wait till the day after Thanksgiving to order mine from Newegg, which is why I went budget 7600GS in the interim.

What do ya'll think of the new "Pentium" Allendales? Good for a budget build at 1.6 or 1.66 gigahertz or just good for a TV box? Would they be better than an X3800+ Windsor or about the same?
June 14, 2007 9:06:11 AM

Quote:

What do ya'll think of the new "Pentium" Allendales? Good for a budget build at 1.6 or 1.66 gigahertz or just good for a TV box? Would they be better than an X3800+ Windsor or about the same?


It all depends on the application of course. I'd say the PE 2160 is slightly faster than the X2 3800+ overall. The PE 2140 is about equal to the X2 3800+, trading blows across various benchmarks.

Review here: http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/pentium-e2...

If you want a TV box just get a cheap Sempr0n or Celeron. :wink:
June 14, 2007 1:41:17 PM

I can't wait to get my hands on Intel's new line up
!