Upgraded motherboard, windows now not working!

kpsmithuk

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
I've recently installed a ecs 7050m-m (v2.00) with a phenom x3 8450 processor. It boots all the way to the option (f8) screen but no matter which option i pick it just reboots rather than loading windows. I've tried just safe mode but it only gets as far as btkernel then resets. Any ideas why this might be? was working fine with previous board? Is it because I didn't install the new board drivers before fitting? is there any way to fix it?

tosh9i

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
You can't just switch motherboards. You have to reinstall Windows. Is the version of Windows Retail or OEM. According to the license agreement, the OEM version can only be installed on one computer, so you can't change the motherboard. However, the retail version will allow it, as long as it's only isntalled on one computer.

G

You can do a Repair Installation to get Windows working again.

Grumpy

kpsmithuk

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
May seem like a silly question but what is the reason for not being able to change motherboards? I've changed mobos in other machines before with no problem with XP.

I've tried to use recovery console but I cant' get the option for a repair install to show, I've got XP home installed have both pro and home discs but home is legit where as pro is only there for the rec console.

I really don't want to totally re-install as there are a few programs I can't get back.

btk1w1

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2008
Repair install appears further on.

Don't hit "R" right off, let the install begin then you will be presented with the repair option.

You may be prompted to re-enter the product key with a repair install though.

kpsmithuk

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
ok I've got the repair install option up and was running ok got all the way to 13mins remaining and registering components then it hangs have read various sites recomendations on this some say it's a no go and fudged have to re-install others say it's updating itself and have to just let it run...problem is I'm going from sp1 cd i think may be pre sp1 to what are we now sp3......i'm going to be waiting a while if that is the case, has anyone else had this? is there any way to circumvent it?

btk1w1

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2008
This is theoretical, but if the XP OS was updated to SP3, then trying a repair install with any earlier versions of the OS wouldn't work.

There are alot of hotfixes, updates and patches in SP3 that can't be rolled back. This is why MS advise (adtually it's a warning) creating a backup of your system before installing.

You could try using nLite (freeware) to incorporate / slipstream SP3 into the XP install disk you already have and create an up-to-date new CD to do the repair with. There are plenty of tutorials online.

This is purely hypothetical on my part, but I couldn't see any problems as long as the OS and service pack number matches the install you want to repair.

Others may offer more insight, to be honest I have never needed to try my suggestion.

tosh9i

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
If the CD you had contained SP1 and if your computer has SP3, then Windows would NOT have allowed you to proceed with the repair installation. It would of stopped you at the beginning saying that the version on your computer outdates the CD, or something along those lines.