Public FTP access to my computer

kye3k1

Distinguished
May 16, 2006
Hi all

I have BeThere broadband with a static IP. I have a Netgear DG834N. I have enabled DMZ for my computer LAN IP. This should mean I can now access my FTP site with the following:

ftp://87.194.152.216

But of course it doesnt work. http://xx.xx.xx.xx doesnt work either. I have tried entering a static route (which sounds like it should work) from WAN IP to gateway of my LAN IP.

So my Question is whats stopping it?

And BTW if you do get onto my FTP please tell me! All I want to do is share files with the world pretty much instead of using crappy limited online storage (I have 1Mb upload).

Thanks for any reply in advance

Kyle

riser

Illustrious
You would need to assign a NIC on your FTP to that IP address which you listed. I'm guessing you're using an internal public IP address range of 10.1.2.x?

You're risky in what you're trying to do unless you have proper security setup: Double firewall in this case.

Anyhow, I can't ping the IP address you have there, meaning you either block WAN Requests via a router or firewall, or the IP address isn't statically set to one of your PCs.

Either you set the PC to that static IP address which you have purchased from your ISP. If you used a name instead of IP, you would have to have your ISP add that information into DNS for correct routing.

I would recommend keeping this PC strictly on the public outside though, no internal IP address range. When I did a trace route, it started pulling back private based IP addresses.. if that is in fact your private subnet, you have a huge secuirty problem on your hands.

kye3k1

Distinguished
May 16, 2006
I am not on an internal address range of 10.1.2.x

You cant ping the IP because I have blocked that from the WAN port.

How would I set the public IP to my PC rather than router?? My previous belkin router could do this.

I dont know what private based IP adresses you are getting maybe you are confusing 197.x.x.x with 192.x.x.x or your own IPs??

Thanks for the reply, any more help would be much appreciated.

sturm

Splendid
Find the internal network ip address of the ftp computer. Forward ports 20 and 21 to that ip address. Any FTP traffic will now be directed to the FTP computer. The rest of the computers will not receive ftp traffic from outside your network. Infact you might block ftp access into all other computers.

riser

Illustrious
Sorry - I was thinking about this from a company side, not home based.

In a company, we'll put an FTP server behind 1 firewall but have another firewall to block the FTP server from the internal network. The FTP server would have a statically set IP address instead of letting the router handle the forwarding requests.

As Sturm stated, you'll most likely want to set a static IP address of 192.168.x.x on the FTP server and on your router, forward port 20/21 (ftp protocol) to the static 192.168.x.x FTP computer.

Reason for making the IP static is that if the IP changes, mainly if computers are powered on in a different order, the static IP has a good chance of changing on you.

On your other computers you may want to disable the FTP service and only use your FTP server for that workload, or on your router block those ports from other internal IP addresses.

kye3k1

Distinguished
May 16, 2006
I am in DMZ so port forwarding shouldnt be a problem.

I have netgear invovled now and I will tell you if they solve my problem...

So far they have told me to enter DNS servers of 4.2.2.2 and 4.2.2.1

Didnt work.

riser

Illustrious
You have to forward the ports. Right now your IP address is that of the router. The router doesn't know where to send the FTP request.

Forward the ports and you will be fixed. The DMZ puts the computer outside of the 'firewall' which is bad for you since its exposed now. You want to forward the ports and that will fix your problem.

gomerpile

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2005
G

Why not use hamachi for your IP?! You can assign the IP and as long as your friends/People who wanna get on the server they just join Hamachi on your Network! Logmein.com

jacky2000

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
The cost of running your own FTP server is very high: you need an always-on FTP server computer, then you need to install FTP server software. For this to be reliable, you need to take care of the security, which means you need to configure access permissions carefully and install OS patches periodically. Moreover, you need to backup the server and make sure you have redundant hardware. Then you need to have a good and reliable Internet connection.

The cost can be thousands of dollars, not including your time and efforts!

Now it can be much easier, and you can save a lot of cost on server hardware, software and bandwidth. DriveHQ.com is the first Cloud IT Solution provider, it is also one of the largest FTP hosting service providers. Our FTP server is more secure and reliable than your own FTP server, and we have virtually unlimited network bandwidth. The cost is dramatically lower, and with our web-based user administration tool, you don't need IT background to use our service. Our basic service is free, and premium service starts at only $1.99/month.

Jacky
www.DriveHQ.com