Your question

Help with hanging boot on P5B Deluxe

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Boot
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
June 14, 2007 1:53:29 PM

Hi guys, I've been running this puppy for nearly a year... had it overclocked at one point then pulled back due to some issues with RAM stability... system specs:

Asus P5B Deluxe MB
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 CPU
2 GB Corsair 1066 MHz XLS 2 blah blah blah (I forget the exact specs, can look up if needed)
couple of harddrives, the boot disk in in a RAID 0, they are less than a year old
Geforce 7950 GX2 vid card

When I turn on the computer, the power comes on, the fans start up, the harddrive light comes on, and the DVD-ROM lights up, but the keyboards LED's don't flash, there is no boot beep, and the monitor stays off (if it was just the monitor, I would suspect the cable or the vid card, or the monitor)

This has happened once or twice before, but always only once at a time (ie: I hard power off (soft didn't work), then turn back on and everything is fine). The lights for the HD and DVD do turn off after a bit, if I recall correctly.

Anyone have any ideas?

More about : hanging boot p5b deluxe

June 15, 2007 12:59:04 AM

oh yeah and an OCZ game xstream 700 W power supply
June 15, 2007 1:27:08 AM

Sometimes my P5B Deluxe does the exact same thing. I hit the power and it just seems to hang, I turn it off manually then hit the power again and it works fine.

I suppose it's one of those mysteries of life that no-one will ever find out.

Sometimes also, my HDD isn't detected during boot up resulting in me turning it off several times until it works and detects it. Tis a real odd glitchy board :!:
Related resources
June 15, 2007 1:50:50 AM

it has to do with cold starting. when i have the issue, i (with the computer attempting to start but hanging) turn off the power from the power supply switch. usually it then starts up at whatever multi i have set with a 266 fsb, my case 6x266. then, when in windows i tell the system to restart and wah lah, im back up with my OC. it does not do this with every cold start, only seems to be when i push for a new OC.
June 15, 2007 2:53:28 AM

ah but I'm not OCing anymore...
June 15, 2007 3:48:46 AM

Pull the battery and clear Cmos for about 1/2 hour.
if it will not respond after the board trys to boot turn the power supply off at the PSU switch
wait for 30 seconds turn it back on and power up.
let us know if this helps
June 15, 2007 4:41:50 AM

i understand that you are not OCing, but just try it
June 18, 2007 2:07:34 AM

how do I pull the battery without damaging the battery casing? On an older computer I had to pull the bat due to a bad OC, and the plastic that holds it in place broke as it didn't seem to have a release...
June 18, 2007 2:33:23 AM

For safety at this moment unplug the power supply and set the clear cmos jumper overnight this usually and almost always works.
If that doesn’t work there is a retainer release (usually spring steel) you need to push straight down on this with a non metallic tool.
Find the flattest recess of the battery holder by the release retainer and use a broken plastic fork or heavy plastic toothpick and gently pry one end of the battery up and out of the housing while pressing the release tab.
If it’s broken you may have to leave the clear cmos jumper on longer or RMA the board
June 18, 2007 2:41:13 AM

Food 4 thought
I had a similar issue about a year ago with three Asus P5ld2 boards. They would hang on the POST and do nothing and required several hard boots to get them to past POST. I solved this issue by changing the source of power to my case fans from power leads from my PSU to the connections on the MOBO. For whatever reason the Asus board was really picky not being able to control the fan speeds and making the change to the main board made all the difference. I haven't had one cold boot fail since.
I know that this is a different setup that yours but being a ASUS board you might want to check into this.
June 18, 2007 3:05:24 AM

Though I agree that clearing the cmos is worth a try, I've never had to remove the battery or short the jumper more than a few seconds... Do you know something I don't Kwalker?
June 18, 2007 3:10:06 AM

Quote:
Do you know something I don't Kwalker?

Yes
Mainboards will not come back from the dead with a clear cmos.
overclock failures will bring this board to its knees and sometimes you have to force a complete reset.
!