Computer turns on, won't POST

clenchedfist

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
I ordered some new components for a computer and took them to my tech. These parts include an E6420, Gigabyte GAP65-DS3, Radeon X1950 Pro, 2 GBs of PC6400, 320 GB SATA Seagate and a 450w FSP power supply. My RAM had to be shipped separately so I dropped off the other parts so he could throw them together, then my mom dropped the RAM off yesterday while I was at work so he could do some testing before I picked it up. I get there, he hasn't turned it on, and when he does all the fans go on, the HD light goes on, etc., but the computer wouldn't POST. He ended up disconnecting everything except for the CPU and mobo and it still wouldn't POST. He said he'd try to get his partner to take a look at it and then he would also try putting in another CPU to see if that was the problem. He hasn't called me yet so I figured I'd ask and see what the common cause for this usually is so I can start reading up on NCIX's RMA policy if need be. Thanks for any ideas.

coronaz

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2007
This mobo always struggles to POST first time round.. keep resetting or pulling the power out the back.. it should come on eventually.

robucf4

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
RAM sometimes plays a big role in no POST. Voltage, seated correctly, etc are very important. Hopefully your tech guy knows what he is doing and to check for these things, if its not a RAM problem, or PSU, then the MB may be bad.

clenchedfist

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
When you say it should come on eventually, does that mean after maybe five tries, or a lot more? He did try it several times but maybe it required more? I'm just hoping for the best.

I remember several years ago I had purchased a Biostar board, Cyrix CPU, (yeah, I know- no flames please) and memory. I tried for 2 stinking days to get the board to post. Tried everything under the Sun I could think of. Took it to a friend who was much more savy than I was at the time, and we messed with it for hours, no luck. Just as I was about to call for RMA, I was turning it off and on, and it booted to the POST screen like nothing was ever wrong. Never had another problem with it after that, ran it for a year, gave it to a buddy, and he ran for a long time after that. You just never know. And that one I never did understand.

coronaz

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2007
When I've played around with my o/c settings it's sometimes taken quite a while to boot back up.. had some really scary moments! You could alsways try clearing the BIOS to see if that helps.

Alternatively try using only one stick of memory..

clenchedfist

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
Well I just got a call and it is running now. The problem was with the motherboard; apparently some of the pins in the CPU socket were bent and they had to be straightened out. I'm not sure if it was from him being careless or from the shipping or what, but I'm just glad I don't have to RMA it. :)