2 Optical Drive Questions - Thanks!

G

I will be building my first computer using 2 optical drives (a DVD burner and a regular DVD drive - both SATA).

If anyone has time, I could use some assistance with 2 newbie-ish questions:

1. Since I'll likely be purchasing OEM rather than Retail, what cable do I need to buy to connect the 2 optical drives to my sound card? Will the sound card (a higher end creative labs card) have 2 connections, one for each of my dvd drives? Or do I need some sort of split cable that connects to both dvd drives and then to the sound card?

2. Is there such a thing as today's SATA drives having issue with the Vista 64-bit OS (which I will be using)? Or can I assume that pretty much any SATA optical drive that I purchase will work fine with Vista?

[EDIT - I found the answer to question 2 in a previous thread...it appears that there's no compatibility issues with the hardware, but there could be with the software. So is it safe to say that NERO 7 is good to use with 64-bit Vista?]

-J.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
1. Since I'll likely be purchasing OEM rather than Retail, what cable do I need to buy to connect the 2 optical drives to my sound card? Will the sound card (a higher end creative labs card) have 2 connections, one for each of my dvd drives? Or do I need some sort of split cable that connects to both dvd drives and then to the sound card?
I don't think you need those audio cables at all. the audio goes through the MB. Try it without the cables and then buy them if you need them.

Yoosty

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2007
Since both are Sata type drives, there is no connection for Audio.

If you where using regular CD-Rom thru DVD-RW type drive this is the only one so far that might help out, but it is located in the UK.

Dual Link Internal Audio Cable with Noise Reduction Chip
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspxTabID=1&ModuleNo=98836&doy=15m6

I know that there is some place in the US that has them, since I have one from the first custom computer I bough years ago. You will just have to look around or go to one of your local Computer Shops, since they might have it or know where to order one for you.

Are you sure you need a DVD-ROM drive at all? How any times are you going to copy from a DVD directly to another? At least get a second burner instead of a DVD-ROM, it's only $10 more.

valis

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2005
I don't think you need those audio cables at all. the audio goes through the MB. Try it without the cables and then buy them if you need them.

you will only need a cable if you're using the drive specifically to play audio cd's. and you'll only be able to plug one into your sound device. if you play mp3's or other such things you wont have a problem

Valis

commanderspockep

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006

you will only need a cable if you're using the drive specifically to play audio cd's. and you'll only be able to plug one into your sound device. if you play mp3's or other such things you wont have a problem

Valis

And thats If you want to play your CDs with the good old analog signal. You'll probably be using the CD Digital line, no audio cable required.

valis

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2005

Valis

And thats If you want to play your CDs with the good old analog signal. You'll probably be using the CD Digital line, no audio cable required.

exactly, i finally just stopped bothering about that lil audio connector and rarely do i notice it