CD/DVD Drive won't read blanks

timba

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2007
I have a very new SAMSUNG 18X DVD±R DVD Burner (SH-S182M/BEBE) which will read any cd with data on it but won't allow me to open up a blank cd. It detects that it there but says there is error and won't let me in. I have tried another cd drive and it does the same thing, so I am wonder if it is a software issue. I still want to try putting the drive in another computer and trying that. Got any suggestions why it would be doing that?

kitchenshark

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
Umm, that's normal behavior if you're trying to open a blank CD/DVD in MyComputer with the CD/DVD drive. There's nothing on the disc so therefore the OS has nothing to read from and no contents to display.

If you're getting this error with a burning program, that's a different story.

Try doing a firmware update to the ROM. Firmware updates usually improve media compatibility as well as read/write speeds. You can also try different media, some ROMs are just finicky.

I had a Matsushita ROM a while back that just would not recognize generic brand media, but if I popped in any blank Memorex disk there were no issues.

Good luck!

timba

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2007
I have been able to open blank cds before and put music files on them and then click in the left side box that says "Burn to cd" and now its not coming up. Its having problems with everything when i put it in there, nothing not even burning programs will bring it up. I have also tried different brand of cds and they still do the same thing. I will try firmware but as of now i have no internet so it may be a while.