supertaz81

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2007
Just bought a ASUS P5K deluxe and am wondering what leads to connect to the motherboard into the ATX power connector. My psu has 2, 4pin addapters that fit together to form a 8pin plug, but the MB has a cap over one of the sockets on the board. Will i need to plug both leads in or will 1 suffice? I have built my last few PCs, but never encountered this. My cpu is a dual core 6600.

Thanks in advance.

On two 4-pin PSU leads, see if one is labeled "P4." If so, that one goes into the uncapped 4-pin socket. The other one will either be unlabeled or possibly say "P4+."

P. 2-31 of the manual doesn't say a lot about this connection, but does show the pinout.

supertaz81

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2007
The psu manual tells you which one to put in if there is only one plug, its got 12v on it. So i assume that goes in the uncapped socket. But the mobo manual doesnt really say much about it, neither does it say when you need to plug both connectors in.

The bit-tech.net guys said just plug both in "you'll get a potentially more stable system with better power distribution from more wires".

So i will go with that :)

andrewcc

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
If you've got the ability to put your 4-pin plugs together into one 8-pin plug, pop the cap off the mobo receptacle and use it that way. In either case, the power plug should be shaped so that it only fits one way.

You don't HAVE to have an 8 pin plug for this mobo to work (My power unit only has the 4) but I believe its more stable for overclocking and whatnot if you use the 4+4. (EPSV or something like that? I'm not that far into how the PSUs work)

edit:
Gah! That's what I get for grabbing a sandwhich between hitting "reply" and typing the response. Good call though.