Sign in with
Your question

Won't boot to desktop

Last response: in Windows XP
September 12, 2009 6:01:24 PM

Hi all, hope someone can help. I installed xp home edition, after the screen that says removeing temorary files, regeristing files or something like that. it restarts for the second time ( cd is removed after 1st restart) the white bar at the bottom of the screen loads from left to right, when it gets all the to the right it just stays there and won't load the desk top. someone please help!!

More about : boot desktop

September 12, 2009 6:08:13 PM

Try these instructions when installing Windows XP:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316941

To perform a clean installation of Windows XP, follow these steps:
Back up all important information before you perform a clean installation of Windows XP. Save the backup to an external location, such as a CD or external hard disk.

Start your computer from the Windows XP CD. To do this, insert the Windows XP CD into your CD drive or DVD drive, and then restart your computer.

Note To boot from your Windows XP CD, the BIOS settings on your computer must be configured to do this.When you see the "Press any key to boot from CD" message, press any key to start the computer from the Windows XP CD.
At the Welcome to Setup screen, press ENTER to start Windows XP Setup.
Read the Microsoft Software License Terms, and then press F8.
Follow the instructions on the screen to select and format a partition where you want to install Windows XP.
Follow the instructions on the screen to complete the Windows XP Setup.
If you have successfully installed Windows XP, you are finished. If these steps did not help you install Windows XP, go to the "Next Steps" section.
September 13, 2009 12:32:35 AM

I did A restart, I now get starting options, safe mode, last known good config. ect... when i do a safe mode it stops loading at agpCPQ.sys when i do a last know good config. it says missing windows\system32\config\system now where do i get this from if it's not on the CD
Related resources
September 13, 2009 8:48:50 AM

Well, not sure you have the OS installed or not. The error missing windows\system32\config\system means either the hard drive is not set as a boot device or system boot files are mising or corrupted. So try going into BIOS and setting the HD as the first boot device. If that doesn't work and IF the OS is installed, try booting to the Windows XP CD. Run the install function as usual. At the first repair console enter and at the command prompt type FIXBOOT and hit enter. That will restore the Boot Manager files. If the problem persist, the system may have a hardware issue preventing it from loading the OS. Possibly RAM issues.
September 14, 2009 4:44:56 AM

A common mistake after using the optical drive to load windows, is forgetting to change it back to the HD as the 1st boot device.
!