Prob Dumb WI-Fi Question

bc4

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
first off, my network lingo probably isn't up to par so forgive me....

Here's the question. I have a Netgear PCI wireless G card and am wondering if I can use that to broadcast a signal to my wi-fi phone (t-mobile dash) or do I need a router.

If it is possible, I know that it is better to get a router as my setup would only work if the pc is on, but thought i'd throw in a question to see if it will work and what setting to use.

my network setup --- cable modem directly to onboard NIC, could instal said wifi card in pci slot.

orangegator

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2007
my network lingo probably isn't up to par

You got that right.

This guys been a member just 3 days with 50 posts, all of which are probably just as helpful. :roll:

To the OP: Your best bet is just to get a wireless router. You can get this one cheap from Buy.com, $9.99AR. Router link You may be able to use the pc card, but I doubt it.

first off, my network lingo probably isn't up to par so forgive me....

Here's the question. I have a Netgear PCI wireless G card and am wondering if I can use that to broadcast a signal to my wi-fi phone (t-mobile dash) or do I need a router.

If it is possible, I know that it is better to get a router as my setup would only work if the pc is on, but thought i'd throw in a question to see if it will work and what setting to use.

my network setup --- cable modem directly to onboard NIC, could instal said wifi card in pci slot.

You can set up a peer to peer networking connection called Ad-Hoc as long as both devices support it. I dont know if the phone does, but it should.
In fact, If your computer has internet, you can transfer the internet to the phone using "connection sharing" option in windows.

For more information on how to set up an Ad-Hoc network between your phone and PDA: Go Here.

Note regarding setup: Since the cable modem plugs directly in to your computer, you are at a higher a vulnerability risk for attacks on your data. Since the internet traces back to you instead of a router, you should invest in a good firewall such as ZoneAlarm and keep your privacy settings on high. If you chose to do this, hit me up and I will explain the program to you as it is tricky if you haven't work with it before (tricky,but easy to do).

bc4

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
thanks for the link Comptia_Rep --- thats what I was looking for. I knew I saw something like it back when I first set up my wireless router (different setup)

Also thanks to the other guys that stuck it to Mayonas --- don't know what I ever did to him/her ----

rabidbunny

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
Also thanks to the other guys that stuck it to Mayonas --- don't know what I ever did to him/her ----

:twisted:
No problem

I wish I could've been of more help with your question, but I don't even have wireless internet yet and I don't know much about it.
However, I can pretty much help with most computer hardware stuff. (thank god!)

TRENDING THREADS