Sign in with
Your question

What does a video converter actually do to convert a video?

Last response: in Applications
November 22, 2010 5:30:34 AM

I'm not sure if anyone will actually be able to answer this but how does a video converter actually fuction? I understand that it changes a video from one format to another but i'm asking how? Like what settings does it go in and change? I mean there are HUNDREDS of converters out there so it must be a known software practice to make a CONVERTER so i'm wondering what does it do? Am I able to just go to the video open it and edit it into another format ? I realize its probably more complicated that just editng a quick thing or too but can anyone enlighten me ? Thanks !
November 22, 2010 1:18:26 PM

First it does not just change a setting, it has to recode the actual images of the video. How it does that varies greatly depending on the format and standard and options you want. For a nearly perfect copy it works about the same as how a compression software like WinZip works, it looks for any data that is the same in an image and instead of duplicating it many times over, just does a quick math calculation that is an abstract of the actual image, then reverses it on playback. So something like RED RED RED RED RED RED RED ends up looking like RED x 7. You took that long string of color data, and changed it to one string of color and a math calculation on where that red should go.

For converters like DIVX they actually have to toss out information, how they decide what to discard and how they recode it so it looks decent at 1/5 the size if the original will take a very very long book.
m
l
Anonymous
June 12, 2012 6:09:40 PM

:)  wonderfully explained thankyou :D 
m
l
!