HDTV showing in 4:3 Ratio?!

Last response: in Home Theatre
February 4, 2005 2:01:15 AM

I finally got an OTA antenna for my DishTV tuner and was able to get
one that could pick up digital channels. My understanding was that Jay
Leno was in HDTV (and was on at the time). I went to watch it and
while the picture looked crisp, it was in 4:3 ration with gray bars on
the side. Is this a case of my local NBC affiliate choosing to muck
with the HDTV signal? I'm panicking because I wanted to get the Super
Bowl in true HDTV (and I can get my FOX affiliates DTV signal) and now
I have my doubts.

Thanks,

Matt

More about : hdtv showing ratio

February 4, 2005 6:21:02 AM

>I finally got an OTA antenna for my DishTV tuner and was able to get
>one that could pick up digital channels. My understanding was that Jay
>Leno was in HDTV (and was on at the time). I went to watch it and
>while the picture looked crisp, it was in 4:3 ration with gray bars on
>the side. Is this a case of my local NBC affiliate choosing to muck
>with the HDTV signal? I'm panicking because I wanted to get the Super
>Bowl in true HDTV (and I can get my FOX affiliates DTV signal) and now
>I have my doubts.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Matt
------------
Here in Seattle, the 11:30pm broadcast is in widescreen, but the
rebroadcast in the middle of the night is in 4:3.

Which broadcast were you watching?
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 11:01:47 AM

Mtmartin71 wrote:
> I finally got an OTA antenna for my DishTV tuner and was able to get
> one that could pick up digital channels. My understanding was that Jay
> Leno was in HDTV (and was on at the time).
It is.

> I went to watch it and while the picture looked crisp, it was in 4:3 ration with gray bars on
> the side. Is this a case of my local NBC affiliate choosing to muck
> with the HDTV signal? I'm panicking because I wanted to get the Super
> Bowl in true HDTV (and I can get my FOX affiliates DTV signal) and now
> I have my doubts.
You'll need to get some other people to chime in from your area. Where
are you?
Related resources
February 4, 2005 11:18:10 AM

There are at least half a dozen posible reasons for this, and you don't give
us enough information to diagnose any of them!

"Mtmartin71" <martinclan99@msn.com> wrote in message
>I finally got an OTA antenna for my DishTV tuner and was able to get
> one that could pick up digital channels. My understanding was that Jay
> Leno was in HDTV (and was on at the time). I went to watch it and
> while the picture looked crisp, it was in 4:3 ration with gray bars on
> the side. Is this a case of my local NBC affiliate choosing to muck
> with the HDTV signal? I'm panicking because I wanted to get the Super
> Bowl in true HDTV (and I can get my FOX affiliates DTV signal) and now
> I have my doubts.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Matt

Anonymous
February 4, 2005 11:19:42 AM

I noticed something else that may just kill this for me anyway. In
doing further research, it appears the game will be shown in 720p. My
Mitsubishi RPTV only supports 480p and 1080i and I don't know if it
down converts, but I know it doesn't up convert.

Damn!!!
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 11:52:33 AM

Mtmartin71 wrote:

> I finally got an OTA antenna for my DishTV tuner and was able to get
> one that could pick up digital channels. My understanding was that Jay
> Leno was in HDTV (and was on at the time). I went to watch it and
> while the picture looked crisp, it was in 4:3 ration with gray bars on
> the side. Is this a case of my local NBC affiliate choosing to muck
> with the HDTV signal? I'm panicking because I wanted to get the Super
> Bowl in true HDTV (and I can get my FOX affiliates DTV signal) and now
> I have my doubts.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Matt

Does your local affiliate broadcast in HD? Were any of the other
networks in HD? Of the broadcast networks, only NBC's Tonight show is
the only one that is usually HD after 11:30 PM (East coast). Perhaps you
should try it out during prime time hours when there are more HD shows.

Finally, of the 4 big broadcast networks, Fox has the poorest HD
coverage in terms of broadcast stations. Sinclair Broadcasting owns a
number of Fox affiliates and they have been notorious foot draggers when
it comes to switching to digital & HD and demanding too high fees for
the local cable companies to carry the local Sinclair digital signal.

Have you tried www.antennaweb.org?

Alan F
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 3:30:53 PM

On 4 Feb 2005 08:08:20 -0800, "Mtmartin71" <martinclan99@msn.com>
wrote:

>Mtmartin71 wrote:
>> I finally got an OTA antenna for my DishTV tuner and was able to get
>> one that could pick up digital channels. My understanding was that
>Jay
>> Leno was in HDTV (and was on at the time). I went to watch it and
>> while the picture looked crisp, it was in 4:3 ration with gray bars
>on
>> the side. Is this a case of my local NBC affiliate choosing to muck
>> with the HDTV signal? I'm panicking because I wanted to get the
>Super
>> Bowl in true HDTV (and I can get my FOX affiliates DTV signal) and
>now
>> I have my doubts.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Matt
>
>Following up to the posts, I live in the Denver, CO metro area. I was
>watching the 10:30p MT broadcast of Leno to test it out, which is the
>primary time. The picture looked pretty crisp, but it was in 4:3
>ratio. However, this morning, I watched my local NBC affiliate who
>touts their HD coverage and it was a crisp picture in 16:9. So it
>appears that I can receive an HDTV feed OTA fine. It's now a matter of
>what FOX chooses to do for the Super Bowl feed and how my local
>affiliate presents it.

I don't think NBC has HD programming in the morning - could be the
station sends out a stretched SD signal. Leno should be 16x9 HD at
that time unless the station screwed up or the HD feed wasn't
available to them at that time for some reason. Keep checking Leno
and other NBC HD programming like ER, West Wing and most of the prime
time crime lineup.

Gary E
--
|Gary A. Edelstein
|edelsgNO@SPAMyahoo.com.invalid (remove NO SPAM and .invalid to reply)
|"We have met the enemy and he is us." - Walt Kelly's Pogo
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 3:30:53 PM

On 4 Feb 2005 08:19:42 -0800, "Mtmartin71" <martinclan99@msn.com>
wrote:

>I noticed something else that may just kill this for me anyway. In
>doing further research, it appears the game will be shown in 720p. My
>Mitsubishi RPTV only supports 480p and 1080i and I don't know if it
>down converts, but I know it doesn't up convert.

If your local Fox affiliate is broadcasting in HD then I'd think your
TV will convert it to 1080i. ABC is 720p. What does the picture look
like on ABC, if your local affiliate is in HD? Check the manual if
you're not sure if the set will convert.

Gary E
--
|Gary A. Edelstein
|edelsgNO@SPAMyahoo.com.invalid (remove NO SPAM and .invalid to reply)
|"We have met the enemy and he is us." - Walt Kelly's Pogo
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 5:55:03 PM

Mtmartin71 wrote:
> I noticed something else that may just kill this for me anyway. In
> doing further research, it appears the game will be shown in 720p. My
> Mitsubishi RPTV only supports 480p and 1080i and I don't know if it
> down converts, but I know it doesn't up convert.
>
> Damn!!!

If you are using an Over The Air (OTA) ATSC tuner, it WILL receive
720p and convert it. Any ATSC tuner, in order to meet FCC requirements,
must be able to receive 480i, 480p, 720p and 1080i transmissions. If
your set has an internal ATSC (aka digital) tuner, it will rescale 720p,
almost certainly up to 1080i. The lack of 720p likely refers to the
component input, I suspect.

Checking the list of local HD stations at www.avsforum.com, I see
Denver, CO - abc (7) - CBS (4) - FOX (31) - NBC (9) - pbs (6) - wb (2).
Upper case means broadcasting 5.1, lower case means not. The real
question is what is the power level of the Fox station and for that,
check www.antennaweb.org, or read the Denver specific thread (over
10,000 posts long...) at
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?s=&foru....

Alan F
February 4, 2005 6:48:47 PM

We have the opposite problem with our ABC station in North Carolina. They
take a 4:3 picture and send it stretched out to fill a 16:9 screen in the HD
broadcast. Looks awful. And sometimes the HD will be in a 4:3 format. So far
only Alias comes through in true 16:9 format, and looks excellent. Might be
1-2 years before these stations get things right.
Roger
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 8:08:43 PM

Try complaining and explaining. Our FOX O&O affilliate here in Austin was
running their SD programming on the digital channel in stretched-out format
until enough people, including me, complained by phone to the engineers, and
they finally switched to 4:3 with bars for SD. Be nice, explain why you
don't like it. The people at the stations think (1) you would rather have
it that way so you get a "big" picture even if it's distorted and that (2)
you are worried about the black bars burning in. Explain about how anyone
can zoom their black-bar picture out using their remote if they want that.
Explain how the stretching ruins the picture, including the local
commercials.

mack
austin

"Roger" <nospam@world.com> wrote in message
> We have the opposite problem with our ABC station in North Carolina. They
> take a 4:3 picture and send it stretched out to fill a 16:9 screen in the
> HD broadcast. Looks awful. And sometimes the HD will be in a 4:3 format.
> So far only Alias comes through in true 16:9 format, and looks excellent.
> Might be 1-2 years before these stations get things right.
> Roger

February 5, 2005 2:13:15 AM

Thanks for the suggestion, Mack, I will definitely do that!!
Roger
Anonymous
February 5, 2005 5:21:36 PM

On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 23:01:15 -0800, Mtmartin71 wrote:

> I finally got an OTA antenna for my DishTV tuner and was able to get one
> that could pick up digital channels. My understanding was that Jay Leno
> was in HDTV (and was on at the time). I went to watch it and while the
> picture looked crisp, it was in 4:3 ration with gray bars on the side. Is
> this a case of my local NBC affiliate choosing to muck with the HDTV
> signal? I'm panicking because I wanted to get the Super Bowl in true HDTV
> (and I can get my FOX affiliates DTV signal) and now I have my doubts.

Either you were tuned to the analog station, your affiliate messed up
the broadcast (forgot to "throw the switch"), or your affiliate doesn't
broadcast HD.

!