RavinRivie

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
Alright, so lately with my newest clean install of Vista X64 I've been getting BSODs seemingly at random. One occured mid-game and another happened right as I launched a lobby (In L4D) and was about to go in-game. Many times I play for hours and never encounter it - this time it was the first time today I was going to have played the game and it crashed on the first go. It said "IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" or somesuch. I was able to capture this info from the pop-up that occured on the little error window when I got back into Windows after it restarted from the BSOD:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: a
BCP1: 0000000000000037
BCP2: 0000000000000002
BCP3: 0000000000000000
BCP4: FFFFF80001C4FFF0
OS Version: 6_0_6002
Service Pack: 2_0
Product: 768_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini010110-01.dmp
C:\Users\Vistance\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-42245-0.sysdata.xml
C:\Users\Vistance\AppData\Local\Temp\WERD364.tmp.version.txt

I thought you were supposed to be able to open that .dmp file with notepad but the POS says access denied every time I tell it to open with notepad. I'm really starting to loathe these stupid damned security access things, as I told every option I could that I'm the admin and I have permission to open it but I cannot. Any help with how to open that so I can provide more helpful info - or is the above enough? I told it to fix the problem in the pop-up that provided this info but it just acted like it was doing stuff, then disappeared never saying it was able to fix it or elsewise...Yeah don't tell me anything - just disappear because that's really f@$*ing helpful. I have no idea what could be causing this on a completely fresh install of Vista 64 bit on a brand new hard drive - I had this exact same O/S installed previously on another hard drive (but the drive failed) and it never gave me a single BSOD. I've had several BSODs with this install and it is severely irking me. I installed every single driver painstakingly over the first two days I had it installed and there isn't a single update I don't have - and all my devices (Namely sound card and video card) are up to date.

Please help...I have no idea how to read BSOD code or how to open that stupid .dmp file to provide more info.

Solution
The dumps are pointing towards memory corruption.
This can help in determining if it is your memory that is the cause.
http://www.memtest86.com/download.html

You also have a few rather old drivers that could be contributing to it as well.
I think a few are your system drivers.
Try to go to thier site and see if a update is available.
You didnt post your system specs but I would guess that you may have a Nvidia chipset.
If so you could try here as well.
http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx

nvstor june 07
nvstor64 aug 07
peauth.sys oct 2006
secdrv.sys sept 2006
RTcore64.sys may 2005

RavinRivie

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
I can't - every time I try to select it and hit upload on any website it says I don't have access. What the hell do I have to do to allow myself access? I even installed the Debugger which I know should open it and the bastard still said I have no access. I hate Vista...why can't I access files on MY hard drive when I AM THE ADMIN. Please advise on what to do, since I apparently can't look at it, move it, touch it, poke it, or think about it - as I have no access or permission.

RavinRivie

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
Oh my god, the computer runs HORRIBLY in Admin mode. I had a internet window pop up infinitely like it was a freakin' virus and it's like there is no clipboard so copy and paste doesn't seem to "remember" what I did. Not to worry I'll disable this unreliable mode as soon as I'm done, but I'm appalled it is this bad. This did the trick though. I tried to open it with the debugger but it said I didn't have the correct symbols or something...something like nt_KBLCR or something so I just uploaded it for you to have a look at.

http://www.2shared.com/file/10431614/e32654a2/Mini010110-01.html

The download link is at the bottom right, I almost couldn't find it myself.

pat mcgroin

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2007
The dumps are pointing towards memory corruption.
This can help in determining if it is your memory that is the cause.
http://www.memtest86.com/download.html

You also have a few rather old drivers that could be contributing to it as well.
I think a few are your system drivers.
Try to go to thier site and see if a update is available.
You didnt post your system specs but I would guess that you may have a Nvidia chipset.
If so you could try here as well.
http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx

nvstor june 07
nvstor64 aug 07
peauth.sys oct 2006
secdrv.sys sept 2006
RTcore64.sys may 2005

Solution

RavinRivie

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
Well, I actually just recently installed Windows 7 Pro x64 (Provided to me for no cost via MSDN AA) and thusfar have not experienced any crashes or anything. If I begin to encounter problems again, I will definitely check the memory first thing. What's funny is how when I asked why XP was crashing it was memory, and now you say Vista was crashing on me due to memory - yet my memory all passed tests before just fine. I may well run the test again just to make sure it's all good, but hopefully the problem was something that my change of O/S has resolved.

pat mcgroin

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2007
If you used the windows memory test you need to set it to extended.
It still isnt as good as memtest though.

Be sure to get the W7 drivers from the sysem manufacturer and dont use the windows updater.

All of the drivers that I mentioned above should come from there.