Did I just ruin my heatsink?

conboy

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
Last night while trying to install a new processor for the first time, I smudged some of the thermal paste off the bottom of the heatsink. I bought some as5 just in case. So I decided to stop being such a pussy, and use the arctic silver. However, on the suggestion of a friend I removed the stock paste with wd-40. Later when reading the instructions for as5 I see this:

"NEVER use any oil or petroleum based cleaners (WD-40, citrus oil based cleaners and many automotive degreasers) on the base of a heatsink. The oil, which is engineered to not evaporate, will fill in the microscopic valleys in the metal and significantly reduce the effectiveness of any subsequently applied thermal compound."

Is the base of the heatsink ruined, or will some 90% isopropyl make it right.

Thanks

polarity

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2003
Start with some ordinary dish washing soap in hot water. Soap adheres to oil molecules, and also adheres to water, which is how water and soap get oily things clean. Hot water makes the oil less viscous too.

Then you can throw volatile solvents at it like isopropyl alcohol and acetone (nail polish remover, which also softens superglue and epoxy resin)

Alternatively you could take the opportunity to lap the heatsink :D

goldragon_70

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
Start with some ordinary dish washing soap in hot water. Soap adheres to oil molecules, and also adheres to water, which is how water and soap get oily things clean. Hot water makes the oil less viscous too.

Then you can throw volatile solvents at it like isopropyl alcohol and acetone (nail polish remover, which also softens superglue and epoxy resin)

Alternatively you could take the opportunity to lap the heatsink :D

Very good advice, do what polarity said, that should cover all the basses.

avarice

Distinguished
May 10, 2006
Avoid Duct tape and bailing wire - generally the most handy compounds know to man (or rather Handy Men).

Please be sure to dry the HS completely - not knowing the type, it may be that some water can hide. Use pressurized air or a blow drier to dry the HS. Be sure to evaluate for yourself if the oily surface remains - if it persists go on to harsher and harsher solvents or simply lap the surface (google it if you are unsure how to do it).

Even if some oils remain, you are simply reducing the effectiveness slightly - not ruining it completely. You will always have a nagging feeling that you screwed up - but some processors can only be over clocked so much before they get to hot - even in a family of processors know to be capable of more.

Take this as a lesson learned, and do not do it again.

Cheers.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
What I would use and IMO is the absolute best is 111-trychloroethane or 111- trychloroethylene. They were banned so they are harder to find but you should look for relay and contact cleaner spray. They may be using something else now but I'm sure it has similar properties. They cut grease and oil and leave no residue. Here is a link I quickly Googled for a replacement solvent

http://www.polywater.com/typefd.html

Edit: Some contact cleaners are contact cleaner and lubricant. Needless to say, you want to avoid these.

conboy

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
Thanks for the replies, I'm gonna get to work on it when I get home. I am considering lapping it now, even though that is scarier than applying a thermal compound.