System Repair??

Solution
There's no way XP and the service packs fit on the floppy.

If you are trying to repair damage caused by the virus, you'd be better off using the restore points. You can roll back a couple days or several months, your choice. The repair console isn't going to be much help in your situation.

Try booting into safe mode (f8 on startup). Use the restore points to before the program was downloaded. Restart and boot into safe mode with networking. Then update malwarebytes and scan your system again. After the system is clean, download ccleaner and you can repair any registry errors.

That should fix you up.

Rattpack39

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009

repair windows xp pro. went to bios and set up to boot from the cd-rom. restarted the system and when press any key came up, i pressed and nothing happened!

Rattpack39

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009

Yes its picking up the key board...I started having problems when my wife unknowingly downloaded a adware HBhelper.BHO along with a HBhyjack. I ran a scan of my comp. and removed the adware/hyjack so I thought.
(I have avast and downloaded Malwarebites and ran a scan the malware picked up the adware and the hyjack. What I got was HBhelper.dll, TBhelper.dll and FBStoolbar.dll.) It seems that "bing" is responcible for these unwanted spygrams.

If you can get into the safe mode menu, then it's picking up the keyboard. So there's no reason for it not to work when you press a key. You aren't using the shift key are you? I think that's the only one that doesn't work when prompted to 'press any key'.

So, you either aren't hitting at the right time, or the keyboard is bad.

Rattpack39

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009

Programs will be rolled back, yes. But user data won't be affected.

What's on the floppy backup? Floppy's don't have much capacity. Is it just a bootable floppy?

The error is likely some application not closed in time when the PC is shutting down.

What's the reason you were trying to do a windows repair in the first place?

Rattpack39

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009

The reason is that I had gotten infected with a virus and after I tried to get rid of it..my computer started getting error messages, and the comp. started to slow down. I've also tried closing some of the apps I've got on the controle tool bar and that made a small dif. on the speed. However, It is still slower then usual!
Ive also had to increase the resolution because it was low.

I had made the "Backup floppy" after I had replaced the hard drive and placed "Windows XP Pro" and down loaded "Service Packs 1, & 3". Come to think of it, I think I also made a CD back up but I will have to look to see if I have it!

There's no way XP and the service packs fit on the floppy.

If you are trying to repair damage caused by the virus, you'd be better off using the restore points. You can roll back a couple days or several months, your choice. The repair console isn't going to be much help in your situation.

Try booting into safe mode (f8 on startup). Use the restore points to before the program was downloaded. Restart and boot into safe mode with networking. Then update malwarebytes and scan your system again. After the system is clean, download ccleaner and you can repair any registry errors.

That should fix you up.

Solution

Rattpack39

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009

Thanks...This made one heck of a difference! I have one other prob. but will post another thread. Thanks again for your help!