Sign in with
Your question

why cant I connect through my switch?

Last response: in Networking
December 23, 2007 10:36:11 PM

I bought a new wlan router (dlink dir 655)

for some reason I cant daisy chain it through my giga switch, like I used to with my old linksys wrt54g?

see below

click the link to get it as a pdf..

More about : connect switch

December 24, 2007 1:33:46 PM

This should work...
December 24, 2007 10:35:40 PM

this.. what? .. ;D

ie: your post is pretty empty for me?
Related resources
December 26, 2007 2:22:42 PM

Why do you have a switch before the router? (Just inquisitive)

Are you using the same cables in each scenario?

What is the error message(s)?

Did you change any of the settings in the switch?

There are many reason why this scenario doesn't work. We need a little more information to facilitate addressing your issue.
December 26, 2007 4:21:12 PM

its a 'n' router and Id like to have the maximum possible bandwidth to my nas's connected to the giga switch. (the zywall is just 100mbit)

Im not getting any error messages, it just doesnt work , ie: no network access

what info do you need? what puzzels me is that it works with the linksys, but not the dlink?
December 26, 2007 4:27:41 PM

I ran into problems with this before... I was using a Dell PowerConnect switch with a Cisco switch. Apparently the Dell's are a little picky in what they connect to. Try putting in a different switch if you can.. or try using the switch instead of the router (manually set IP on computer) to see if you can still get through.

I'm going to say the PowerConnect doesn't like talking to your new Dlink.
December 26, 2007 4:48:50 PM

hmmm as far as I remeber the powerconnect is a layer 2 switch, so perhaps it can be convinced to do it correctly?
December 26, 2007 4:52:39 PM

Did you check the Dell site for possible problems for this switch?

I gather you're trying to get Gb transfer between your NAS and PC's?

Let me get this right: You have a NAS connected to the switch. Also, a cable connects to the router. When you remove the switch and connect the NAS to the router, which is connected to the PC/laptop then your able to access the NAS and get internet? If this is true, like Riser stated, there may be a mismatch between the switch and the router.

One other silly question: Since the Dlink is a Gb router and your NAS has a Gb NIC why don't you just connect it to the router? It has 4 ports. If you need to connect more PCs then connect them through the switch.

I have several PC's in my home network. To get them connected I purchased some GB switches and hung them off the supplied router. I get GB through put to those PC that have GB NICs and I hung the slower PC's (that have 100MB) NICs on another switch.

Just a thought ...:>)
December 26, 2007 5:01:22 PM

yes well as cloase as possible, no I havent tried dell yet, I didnt think of the powerconnect as being the problem, since its running in unamanged 'auto' mode

theres a nas (well two) on the switch, the switch has a cabel that goes to the zywall, currently the dlink, connects to the zywall directly aswell, since it doesnt work if I hook it up to the switch
December 26, 2007 7:48:25 PM

You'll need to validate that the switch does work. Can you hook the computer and NAS up and see if you can access each? Or get any access through the switch?

All unmanaged switches are Layer 2. Managed switches are also level 2 but in some cases can be considered Layer 3 when they start performing routing options.
December 26, 2007 9:31:04 PM

the switch works just fine, just not with the dlink router, connected directly, then theres not net connection through the dlink.

as soon as I plug the dlink through the lan port on the zywall (as illustrated) everything works just fine?!

I can access the nas's just fine.
December 27, 2007 2:46:07 PM

I guess I'm missing the point of having the switch before the router. Why can't you connect the Dlink router directly to the firewall and then connect the switch after the router. You would be able to Gb through put to all attached nodes? Am I missing something?
December 27, 2007 3:37:12 PM

the switch is giga, the router is 100mbit

the dlink is wlan-n (theoretically 300mbit)

so the point is to eliminate the zywall as a bottleneck
December 28, 2007 1:03:59 PM

Kurgandk

IS this your router?

The D-Link Xtreme N™ Gigabit Router (DIR-655) is a draft 802.11n compliant device that delivers up to 14x faster speeds* and 6x farther range* than 802.11g while staying backward compatible with 802.11g and 802.11b devices. Connect the Xtreme N Gigabit Router to a cable or DSL modem and provide high-speed Internet access to multiple computers, game consoles, and media players. Create a secure wireless network to share photos, files, music, videos, printers, and network storage. Powered by Xtreme N™ technology and equipped with three external antennas, this router provides superior wireless coverage for larger homes and offices, or for users running bandwidth-intensive applications. The DIR-655 also includes a 4-port 10/100/1000 Gigabit switch that connects Gigabit wired devices for enjoying lag-free network gaming and faster file transfers.

If so it's a Gb router. Maybe I just missed something ...;>)

By having the Dell switch to expand the Gb connection of your network would eliminate the Zywall bottle neck.
December 28, 2007 4:00:48 PM

yes that is one of my routers, the one handeling the wireless network

the zywall handles the wired network
December 29, 2007 10:34:05 PM

I guess I'm not asking the right question.

Why can't you connect the wired network through the router? Since the router is a gig router that would get you around your switch problem.
!