e_a_g_l_e_p_i

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2007
I have a new system and bought 2 500 GB SATA Maxtor Maxline HD's I don't really understand how to set them up, I just plugged them into the SATA ports on my Asus P5B and they were recogized in the bios and seem to work ok. I'm reading my Asus manual and it says I can set up RAID 0,1,5 and 10 I don't understand RAID and wonder why should I want to set up RAID or do I? what are the benefits??

Thanks in advance

HenrikG

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2005
All RAID config's have pros and cons. There are a slew of different RAID configurations but the most common are 0, 1 and 5. I run RAID-0 on my Asus mobo for the performance (making sure to have proper backups in case of disk failure).

RAID-0: Provides improved performance and additional storage but no fault tolerance from disk errors or disk failure.

Basically, two disks... Twice as fast... Twice the space... Twice the chances of a disk failure and data loss.

RAID-1: Provides fault tolerance from disk errors and single disk failure.

Basically, two disks mirrored (minimum) that are written to with the same data so that if one crashes the data is still preserved on the other. Still same operating speed as one drive and requires a shutdown with disk replacement before you're up and running again in RAID-1. But at least your data isn't lost.

RAID-5: Striped Set with Distributed Parity. Distributed parity requires all but one drive to be present to operate; drive failure requires replacement, but the array is not destroyed by a single drive failure.

Basically, the same speed as one single drive or RAID-1. Minimum 3 drives and if one fails, you can still use the computer. Upon replacement of the failed drive, the RAID array repairs itself or requires you to initiate the repair. As long as only one disk is lost, this array won't cause data loss or much downtime (if any).

Read more here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID or just Google "RAID".

Scougs

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
RAID-5: Striped Set with Distributed Parity. Distributed parity requires all but one drive to be present to operate; drive failure requires replacement, but the array is not destroyed by a single drive failure.

Basically, the same speed as one single drive or RAID-1. Minimum 3 drives and if one fails, you can still use the computer. Upon replacement of the failed drive, the RAID array repairs itself or requires you to initiate the repair. As long as only one disk is lost, this array won't cause data loss or much downtime (if any).

Read more here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID or just Google "RAID".

Overall good post, but if I'm not mistaken RAID 5 does provide some performance enhancement. Not as fast as RAID 0 but better than a single drive or RAID 1.

rammedstein

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
unfortunately i doubt raid 5 is an option because he only has 2 drives, plus, there is always JBOD is you wish to have just one huge partition.

4745454b

Titan
Basically, two disks... Twice as fast... Twice the space... Twice the chances of a disk failure and data loss.

Care to pass some of what you're smoking?

To the OP, if you have to ask the question, you don't need it. In a nut shell, RAID is a way to make 2 or more drives work together to increase speed, or backup data on multiple drives. This allows you to move more data around faster, or not worry about your harddrive dying.

Heres the kicker. Most home users don't need the added speed that AID0 provides. The only time AID0 "works" is when you are reading or writing to the drive. Keep in mind that a single drive can do 60MBps, so even reading 1GB won't take to much time. RAID1 only puts another copy of X file on another harddrive. It won't backup a copy of it somewhere else, nor will it help you if everything in your computer dies due to a powerspike.

Frankly, unless you move massive amounts of data, you don't really need to worry about this.

half-life

Distinguished
May 29, 2007
Ive had my gaming computer in RAID 0 and non RAID configuration and noticed no difference in performance in general. I would just go for two separate drives as you have them.