LAN party equipment

antonwalker

Distinguished
May 6, 2007
Me and my friend are gunna set up a LAN party just with friends so its pretty small scale, since only a few of me friends game. It will probably be within 3-6 people and was wondering what we will need. As in programs, hubs switches or whatever, or anything else (foods or wires). I already searched on the net, but only got outdated articles. Thanx for your help and reading this article!!!!!! 8)

locky28

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
Don't let it happen again

:roll:

And to the Op, all you'll need is an 8-port switch NOT A HUB!! A SWITCH!, 100mbps or 1000mbps but 100 will be sufficient, you could get one of these for about $30 for an el cheapo that will do the job from any local computer store (Myself and my friends all chipped in for a decent 16Port switch back in our shed-LANning days ;) .

I'm assuming you all have onboard network interfaces.

You'll also need some Cat.5 or Cat.6 Ethernet network cables, 1 for each PC. You won't need any additional programs, just some kickass multiplayer games!
You can share your files normal and other's will be able to get them.

I also suggest a couple of cartons of softdrink and some sticky slapper hands for hitting people who are trying to AWP you.

locky28

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
That will be plenty sufficient, and yeah Cat 5.E, sorry I forgot to mention the enhanced (E) bit.

And I suggest putting the switch were you can see the lights so you know if someones slowing down the network by thrashing it ;) .

Just type in 3m network cable and you'll get heaps of hits, Cat 5.E is the standard and cheaper than Cat.6 (not much better) so thats what's gonna be coming up in a search.

eric54

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006
no. cat 6 is for data beyond gigabit, you do not need cat 6. Its really only useful for people setting up a wired permanent home network who need to seek heavily futureproofed solutions. At this time gigabit is still taking off, and cat 5e handles it like a champ. Save your money, get cat 5e (pretty much everything is cat 5e even if it doesnt say so). For your cables you're good with stranded, in fact i'd say only get stranded cat 5e because you'll need flexible cables, solid core can hold a signal for a longer distance but will break if bent repeatedly.

-stranded cat 5e
-switch hooked up to router if you want net access, or you can just plug the modem straight up to the switch(way easier just to plug into router.
-dont worry about crossover or particular type, all newish switches/hubs/routers dont care
-as for food, zesty doritos, pizza(or the pop variety), and mountain dew (heck even coke)

Read the next part if you want to know what the difference between a router switch and hub in laymans terms.

rememebr, router's are specialized switches with the ability to communicate using the ip. Switches move data from one place to another using address's, hubs do the same but the data is sent to each port, its like a copier, hubs arent smart by any means, they pretty much just broadcast data, as opposed to a switches ability to select or switch where the data stream goes. This is why routers have switches, and why you need an ip, because without it the switch in the router it woudlnt know where to send the packets it recieved from the computer behind the ip its connected to. I know its not related, but you might want to know what the hell the difference is between them.

if some IT guy wants to correct me please let me know and i'll fix it, afaik this is correct.

r0x0r

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
Make sure that you have enough powerboards, extension cables and power points as well. Plan where everything is going to go (desks/tables, etc) so you spend less time screwing around and more time fragging!

Also try to make sure that you give your friends enough room to stretch out on their chairs, since you'll probably be playing for a long time. Being cramped up really sucks.

Don't forget tons of munchies; maybe fill an ice-cream bucket with lollies? Drinks; just buy some warm soft drinks from the supermarket the day before and put them in the fridge, and pizza vouchers if you have them. Try not to buy oily pizza as well so that you don't get oily crap in your mouse and keyboard.

Also don't forget the little stuff llike disposable plates, napkins, making sure everyone has enough cups, etc.

Make 2 lists of what you need and divide them into technical and other. PC hardware and assorted stuff goes into technical, tables, food and etc goes into other.

So basically, with some preperation you'll have a great time.

One last thing; make sure that everyone has agreed on the date as well and it's far ahead enough so that people have time to prepare for it.

Hope this helps.

antonwalker

Distinguished
May 6, 2007
hey thank you for all the replies. You guys were very helpful. I have one other question.

Can we have a LAN party and play games with each other on different operating systems. Because one of my friends has Vista and all the rest have XP. So can we play with him?

exarrkun

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2006
If you're playing the same game it wont make a difference. Heck even a mac could lan with you if he had the same game.

this may be true, but i had a hell of a difficult time setting a network on a vista and xp pc on my last lanparty
don't know how i did it, just try a bit :wink:

sweetpants

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2006
If you're playing the same game it wont make a difference. Heck even a mac could lan with you if he had the same game.

this may be true, but i had a hell of a difficult time setting a network on a vista and xp pc on my last lanparty
don't know how i did it, just try a bit :wink:

I've donethe same and surprisingly for me it worked just fine, not special about it. The guy was running Vista Ultimate and just about every other machine was running XP Pro.

sweetpants

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2006
rememebr, router's are specialized switches with the ability to communicate using the ip. Switches move data from one place to another using address's, hubs do the same but the data is sent to each port, its like a copier, hubs arent smart by any means, they pretty much just broadcast data, as opposed to a switches ability to select or switch where the data stream goes. This is why routers have switches, and why you need an ip, because without it the switch in the router it woudlnt know where to send the packets it recieved from the computer behind the ip its connected to. I know its not related, but you might want to know what the hell the difference is between them.

in lamens terms... Routers connect networks

atarione

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2003
if you have the time to wait you might wanna check out ebay it is generally awash in networking gear ( Caveat Emptor :D )

I got a very lan friendly Netgear FS516 16Port 10/100 switch for like $8 (and $5 shipping) 6 mos ago