Burning Plastic doesn't smell good...

carpcmelee

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
I have this old p3 system...
900 mhz p3 socket 370 Coppermine (oc'ed to 972 mhz)
Asus Cusl2-C Mobo
128mb ram (Ill explain l8r)
some Codegen (Or Cogeden, dont remem, threw it out) 250 watt psu.
Cdrom
Ati All in wonder agp rage 128 16mb

Anyway, so my friends brings me a stick of 128mb ram, to bring it up to 256 mb ram. I go to the hall, open it up, install the ram, close it, and plug everything back in. Hmmm.. monitor does not detect vid card. Something's not right. I replug everything again, and i smell this horrible smell. My friend, who is a future scientist, goes " Who's Burning plastic?" A light bulb goes on in my head. Holy...........
I unplug evrything, run outside, take the pc apart. Nothing is burning, but everything smells bad. I take apart the psu, and lo and behold something is leaking. I dont mean water leaking, it was like a big battery thing leaking. Funny how ram can cause that. But the pc turned on though. hmmmmmm.

Mom says: Finally that things blows up.
I laugh and think in my head: Time for a new pc baby!
Just wanted to share my experience for those people who wanted to pass by on a cheap case power supply....

pshrk

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2006
Same thing happened to me recently... don't use an apevia power supply, even if it's free with your case. I'm just glad it didn't start a fire. I was so happy with my Toughpower 650W power supply i bought to replace it that I bought another one, the added efficency even saved me $10 or more on my monthly power bill.

darkguset

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
What you experienced was an electrolytic capacitor from your PSU that couldn't take the load anymore and blew up, pouring its contents all over. Mind you, it is not the stuff that you want to touch with your hands, or go near and take a deep breath! Clean thoroughly with a special cleaner from your local electronics shop and get a new PSU (good quality), or replace your whole rig (that is always a good excuse to upgrade! hehe)

Funny, all moms are the same! lol!

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
I would say that this is a good case for not buying a cheap PS, but that P3 has to be so old I have got to say that you got your moneys worth out of that PS.

carpcmelee

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
I would say that this is a good case for not buying a cheap PS, but that P3 has to be so old I have got to say that you got your moneys worth out of that PS.

Thats wat I was thinking, but still, how could 1 stick of pc100 ramm make a diff? An that electrolyctic (srry if i spell it wrong), it didn't spill its contents everywhere, it just leaked a little. I think that was the smell.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004

Thats wat I was thinking, but still, how could 1 stick of pc100 ramm make a diff? An that electrolyctic (srry if i spell it wrong), it didn't spill its contents everywhere, it just leaked a little. I think that was the smell.The Ram didn't cause it. The PS was cheap and really old and it just decided to take a dump.

carpcmelee

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
Thanks guys. Do you think that it took the wireless g pci card with it? Because that was just bought like 2 months ago. Oh well, searching for a cheap 400-500 dollar laptop now.

phassat

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2007
lol.... but what is gonna kill you in the long term (cough ciggy cough cough chokes weezes)
yeah, i was actually smoke 60 a day... even my ol' pc getting slower coz she is a huge fan of passive smoker. :p lucky i've managed to cut it by more than half.

anyway... out of topic, sorry ts.

G

You smell that? Do you smell that? capacitors, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that. I love the smell of electrolyte in the morning. You know, one time we had a Mac outlet burning for twelve hours. When it was all over I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' Mac. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole shop. Smelled like... victory.