Graphics card has crapped out?

drakus1984

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2007
ok, problem is this.

2 days ago, went to turn on the computer and its not working. I know, helpful. So.. heres the good stuff.

I boot up, computer boots normally, but as soon as it gets to the point that i should enter the pwd for windows, my moniter loses signal.

Works fine up until that point.

Now, i've reinstalled the drivers, tried newer versions, tried older versions.

Works when ya boot, and go to advanced options and boot with VGA enabled. Settings are the lowest the card can do, and as soon as i try to change its settings and apply, i lose signal agian.

I can't try the vid card on a different computer (the only other computer i have access to has only AGP slots, no PCI-E).

Oh, the card is a Foxconn Geforce 7600gt. Has worked fine for the last 6months without any problems.

Sooo... anyone have any ideas as to what the hell is going on?

smartel7070

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2006
Seems to me you are using a refresh rate your monitor does not support. So when you boot in vga mode it goes to 640x480 60hz and when you apply different settings it looks like it is out of spec for your monitor. You should try and change the refresh rate before applying another res. To check your refresh rate go to display properties, then settings, advanced, monitor. Just below your monitor listing you should have a drop-down menu giving the choices you have for adjusting the refresh rate of your monitor.

sailer

Splendid
On a different bent, it could be the psu. If the psu is failing, it might supply enough power to get into the boot sequence, but as soon as it has to give meaningful power to the video card, there's nothing to give and everything stops. What make and wattage is the psu? And do you have another psu available to try in its place?

Mojoejojo

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2007
I had a similar problem with my 8800gts. I strongly suspect that it is the PSU that is causing the problem. Some things to check... Can you log on in safe mode? This keeps the vid card in VGA graphics, so it draws less power. In safe mode, un-install the video drivers, reboot, and re-install drivers. Do you lose the video signal as the drivers are almost loaded (card begins drawing more power as it switches from vga)? I'll post results once I have new vid card and PSU to check the individual components.