pro networked with home?

qwerty

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2002

I'll be getting another computer that I will network with my current PC. I
was considering putting XPHome on the old PC and XPPro on the new PC. Is
this advisable or should I just stick to 2 XPHome PC's? Why would I want to
use XPPro instead of XPHome?

If I get XPPro, can I use the current XPHome activation code with the XPPro
(ie have both PC's with XPPro (use the XPPro CD twice))?

Windows XP Comparison Guide
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/choosing2.mspx

You can only install 1 copy of any windows OS on 1 computer with 1 license
(key code)
If you have a retail version of an OS then you can transfer it to another
computer as long as you uninstall it from the previous one. OEM versions are
not transferable.

--
Good Day
River Rat

In news:uOK24aPbFHA.2288@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
qwerty <i@i.com.au> typed:

> I'll be getting another computer that I will network with my
> current
> PC. I was considering putting XPHome on the old PC and XPPro on
> the
> new PC. Is this advisable or should I just stick to 2 XPHome
> PC's?
> Why would I want to use XPPro instead of XPHome?

If you have to ask, the answe almost certainly is that you should
put XP Home on both machines.

XP Professional and XP Home are exactly the same in all respects,
except that Professional has a few features (mostly related to
networking and security) missing from Home. For most (but not
all) home users, even those with a home network, these features
aren't needed, would never be used, and buying Professional
instead of Home is a waste of money.

For details go to

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_home_pro.asp

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/whichxp.asp

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/choosing2.asp

Also note that Professional allows ten concurrent network
connections, and Home only five.

> If I get XPPro, can I use the current XPHome activation code
> with the
> XPPro (ie have both PC's with XPPro (use the XPPro CD twice))?

No.

Please reply to the newsgroup