rybek50

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2007
I just put together a new rig and am having some problems. First off, the specs.

Intel E6700, asus striker extreme mobo, 2 @ 2 gigs Corsair ddr2 800 xms2 (4 gigs total), 1000 watt coolmax psu, nvidia 8800 ultra, 2 500 gig hdd, 2 L. O. drd/rw drives, in a thermaltake armor case.

with everything installed i turn on and screen reports no connection. lights/fans come on in case, as well as lights on mobo. But system never beeps.

doing some research i found i should un plug everything from mobo except for vid card, and 1 stick of ram, to see if the same thing happens. I did and lights on mobo still light up, but no system beep and monitor still reports no connection.

rybek50

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2007
took out all ram and i did get a beep. i can now get bios to boot with one stick in slot 4, but everything dies after approximately 30 secs. changing memory voltage only seems to make things worse. i have both power plugs plugged into nvidia 8800ultra like card says to do. talked w. asus tech support and they are sending the latest bios chip. we will see how that goes. thanks for your help guys

pongrules

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
Try clearing the CMOS and then try one stick of RAM at a time in the alternate slots. I did this when my machine did the same thing and everything's fine now with the memory running in the alternate slots.

turtle1

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2006
I have almost the same build as you do (Striker, e6700, 4 gigs of the same ram, 8800GTX, etc...). When I built it a few weeks ago it did the exact same thing. I pulled and reseated the 8800gtx and the ram and nothing. I pulled the ram again and just installed one stick and it booted. I flashed the bios to most recent version (1102) then installed all of the ram. Everything has worked perfectly since then.

mike99

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Could be overheating CPU! Check cooler is tight down at all 4 corners, when you tighten fourth point, oposite sometimes pops up. You did take the plastic protector off bottom of heatsink? :)

Mike.

chowner

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2007
I would make sure everything was seated firmly. Did you put the the stand offs in the case for the motherboard? Do you have another psu you can try. I would make sure system speaker is hooked up correctly. If you are sure your psu isn't at fault and you aren't gettting any codes. I would RMA your motherboard.