Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Problem with games crashing (searched google)

Last response: in Windows Vista
Share
January 6, 2010 10:41:12 PM

Hello, I built a gaming pc last night with the following specs:

DFI 790FXB-M3H5 motherboard
AMD Phenom 955 Black Edition
G Skill 4gb DDR3 (pc3-12800)
2 XFX 4890's in CrossfireX
Western Digital Velociraptor 300GB
Vista home premium 32-bit (soon to be win 7 pro 64bit)

When I open up any game, (Bioshock, Crysis, Warcraft 3, counter strike, and more) the game will be working for about 2-5 minutes, then all of a sudden lock-up to the point where I usually have to restart. I am on 9.11 catalyst drivers for the GPU's, I have played with the BIOS and have no success (I AM NOT GOOD IN THE BIOS) I am thinking its the bios settings? I haven't overclocked anything, don't really plan to. I reset CMOS and they are default setting right now. I have all updates for vista, and for all my games, no anti-virus is running. I am running razer mouse drivers, and ati drivers at the time of the game. What could this be?
January 7, 2010 2:04:02 AM

Hi newcomer and welcome to the Tom's hardware forum.

Just for curiosity, Are all your games legal?
m
0
l
January 7, 2010 6:22:02 AM

saint19 said:
Hi newcomer and welcome to the Tom's hardware forum.

Just for curiosity, Are all your games legal?


Seriously?? Of course... Real info please?

Well anyways, I found the fix, VISTA. I could run any game in -dx9, but as soon as i turned on dx10, (unless I was on low everything) the game would crash like I said. I updated direct x, and everything. Reinstalled drivers... NO FIX ANYWHERE.

So with a clean install of win 7 pro, I can now run whatever I want in dx 10.
m
0
l
Related resources
January 7, 2010 11:11:44 AM

waitenr said:
Seriously?? Of course... Real info please?

Well anyways, I found the fix, VISTA. I could run any game in -dx9, but as soon as i turned on dx10, (unless I was on low everything) the game would crash like I said. I updated direct x, and everything. Reinstalled drivers... NO FIX ANYWHERE.

So with a clean install of win 7 pro, I can now run whatever I want in dx 10.


----

Sorry for the question, but some people here post many thread with similar problems and the real problem is that the CD or DVD isn't legal.
m
0
l
January 7, 2010 12:31:35 PM

There are new catayst drivers 9.12 install that and make sure your games have been updated with all patches
m
0
l
January 7, 2010 3:28:59 PM

After drivers, the most common issues are hardware/memory related. With a fresh build, I would go into the Bios and manually set the memory to the manufacturer's recommended specs. If the setup is marginal, you can run into random issues where one situation runs fine, but another - even slightly more stressful - one does not.
m
0
l
January 8, 2010 3:09:11 AM

Scotteq said:
After drivers, the most common issues are hardware/memory related. With a fresh build, I would go into the Bios and manually set the memory to the manufacturer's recommended specs. If the setup is marginal, you can run into random issues where one situation runs fine, but another - even slightly more stressful - one does not.


Dude how? I said I wasn't good in the BIOS. Haha I'm good at everything except that (which basically determines if you have a working pc lol).
m
0
l
!