6600 Core 2 Duo Too Hot

moondok

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2007
I recently upgraded my pc with a 6600 2.4 ghz C2D. Speedfan and SIW were giving me temps around 46c at idle in XP. Running a game would shoot it up to 58c which I thought was too hot. Intel says 60.1 I believe as max. So, I bought an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro. Now it idles at around 48c or 49c. I went into a login screen for a game and opened a couple of programs just to push the cores a bit. I got up 62c with a load of just 67%. The case is a midtower atx with a side fan pulling air in, a rear fan pushing air out, cpu fan pushing air out (fan faces rear, not side), and a fan in the front that I have honestly not checked on but will. The cpu fan is attached as best I could. It doesn't wiggle or pull away from the board. I'm totally out of ideas. I really don't understand how the new fan could perform less as well as the stock fan, and the cpu running so hot makes no sense either. My room temp is about 70 fahrenheit. The tower is in a large television cabinet with the front door open for circulation. I close it when not in use. I can't think of anything else. Thanks in advance.

accord99

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2004
The Intel TCase limit of 60.1C and the measured temperatures from utilities such as SpeedFan and Core Temp aren't from the same areas, the 60.1C is at the top-center of the IHS, while the utility reported temperatures are from inside the core.

Plus, the temperatures given by the utilities are most likely not correct. What you can get from the new sensors is an accurate measure of how many degrees you are from throttling, which you can get from CoreTemp 0.95 (after you change an option). With a reading of 62C, your E6600 probably has ~23C of headroom left before it throttles, which is pretty reasonable though the CPU is warmer than it should be. Do you have a MB with auto fan management (such as Gigabyte's Smart Fan or Asus's QFan)? It may be the MB is not spinning the fan at full speed.

gattsuru

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
Check for fan management software and make sure that the heatsink is properly installed and lined up correctly (and has been thermal pasted). The LGA775 format has some very strong points, but if one of the four joints isn't fully through the motherboard, it can have some pretty big problems.

moondok

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2007
I went into cmos for fan management. Everything was set to 100%, so that's out.

I can try reseating the fan again. I have some arctic silver but didn't use it this time because the compound on the new fan was so perfectly distributed.

I read on here about lowering the vcore slightly, but I know nothing of what the consequences might be.

SK711G

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2007
Lowering Vcore could destabilize your system, thats about as bad as a lower Vcore will do, and you could just bump it back up if that happens.

moondok

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2007
I downloaded core temp 0.95, and here's what it says.

TJunction 85c

Core #0 42c to TJunction Remaining
Core #1 45c to TJunction Remaining

Does this mean I have 42c and 45c left before throttling occurs?

And I did go back to the Arctic Silver compound. It dropped my idle temp in windows about 5 degrees celsius. Don't mean to argue, but I think the Silver is a bit better than the factory compound on the Freezer 7.

disposablehero

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2007

TJunction 85c

And I did go back to the Arctic Silver compound. It dropped my idle temp in windows about 5 degrees celsius. Don't mean to argue, but I think the Silver is a bit better than the factory compound on the Freezer 7.
you only think that because you havent done any research on the subject

moondok

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2007

TJunction 85c

you only think that because you havent done any research on the subject

The only reason I said that was because I put the arctic silver on today, and the temp dropped. Feel free to share your findings. I definitely have not done research on it beyond talking with a few friends. I was just surprised to see the difference.

goldragon_70

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
Check the pins, on the HSF, make sure they are set correctly, and locked in place. You may want to reseat the HSF too. I have a freezer 7 pro, and my temps drooped about 15oC.

Also open the side door and point a house fan in your case and see how much the temp drops.

moondok

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2007
2 fans pulling air in, 2 pushing air out including the cpu fan, and the power supply fan.

BTW, thanks accord. At least I don't feel like I'm on the verge of something bad. I may try exchanging fans at some point and the lowering of the vcore just a touch. But I don't feel so pressed now.