Sound in vista mutes itself randomly, why?

weequayx

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2009
The other day out of the blue my sound has been cutting on and off in vista home edition. That is one moment it is up ad next it is muted, that is the tray icon has a red x over it etc. etc.

I have read across the internet and the problem apparently exists for others aswell. Problem is , I have yet to find a reliable answer or fix. I am using vista 64 bit.

Additionally I have updated my sound drivers to no avail.

weequayx

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2009

Ok I have figured out the problem it is from my keyboard, I had recently opened it to clean it and a mute button I have was getting triggered accidentally, I have since fixed the problem. If anyone else has this problem look at the keyboard or mouse as they are most likely the culprit to this particular type of problem...

G

I have searched and searched for a solution on this problem i have seen a couple of ppl say that it was something to do with their keyboard however I don't have a volume control on my keyboard. I run windows vista 64bit and my sound mutes itself every 5 minutes or so. I have tried updating sound drivers but there is no update I have seen some ppl say it was a problem with winamp. I use winamp alot but i have configured those settings and it still does it. my sound mutes even when I am not using winamp. This is really annoying especially when im gaming i have to stop what I am doing ever few minutes to unmute my sound and its very frusterating can someone help on this issue please I cant seem to figure out whats going on. I have no viruses on my computer no malware and no spyware.

G

Hello, I have the same problem and despite long hours on google I can't seem to find the solution. Did you manage to solve your problem?
Thanks!