What receiver do you use for your babies?

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
February 4, 2005 11:47:03 PM

Hey all,
I know this is off topic slightly but, everyone has to invest in a receiver
to optimize our HDTV experience so here goes.....I currently own a Yamaha
5.1 AV receiver that is 5 years old and not DTS. It functions well but has
a thin techie sound compared to my old old Pioneer analog one.
Anyways,
I am really thinking of getting the following Pioneer receiver.......

It is their "914" model and sells for $499 Canadian eh.
What do you think and what do you maybe prefer more within a $200 up or
downprice range?

Power
Power Amplifier Design Hybrid
Surround Power 110W x 6 Channel
Stereo Power 110W x 2 Channel
Digital Decoding & Processing
Digital Engine Motorola 48-Bit DSP Engine
Dolby Digital 5.1 Y
Dolby Digital EX Y
DTS 5.1 Y
DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 Y
DTS 96/24 Y
DTS-Neo6 Y
Pro-Logic II Y (IIx)
Pioneer Advanced Theater Modes 8 Modes
Virtual Surround Back Y
Mid Night Listening Y
Loudness Y
MCACC Auto
Speaker Configuration Y
Speaker Size Y
Speaker Level Y
Speaker Distance Y
Acoustic Equalization Y
Analog to Digital Conversion 96KHz / 24-Bit
Digital Analog Conversion (DAC) 192KHz / 24-Bit
Connectivity
Audio (Tuner Included) / Video Input 4A/4AV
Audio/Video Output 1A/1AV + 1V
Digital Inputs 5
Optical In 3
Coaxial In 2
Optical Digital Output 1
Multi-Channel Input 8 (DVD)
Audio Preamp Output All (6.1)
Composite Video Input 5
Composite Video Output 2
S-Video Input 4
S-Video Output 2
Component Video Input 2
Component Video Output 1
Headphone Output Y
Front A/V Inputs Y + 1 Optical
AC Outlet Y
Banana Speaker Terminal Y
SR Control Y (SR+)
Speaker A/B Y
Construction
Direct Construction Y
Conveniences
Remote Type LCD Learning
Dimensions
Dimensions (W * H * D) 16 13/16 * 6 4/16 * 15 13/16
Weight 23lbs, 5oz.
Warranty
Warranty 1 year parts & labor

Thanks
Take Care
Tec

More about : receiver babies

Anonymous
February 5, 2005 10:11:47 AM

Tecumseh wrote:
> Hey all,
> I know this is off topic slightly but, everyone has to invest in a receiver
> to optimize our HDTV experience so here goes.....I currently own a Yamaha
> 5.1 AV receiver that is 5 years old and not DTS. It functions well but has
> a thin techie sound compared to my old old Pioneer analog one.
> Anyways,
> I am really thinking of getting the following Pioneer receiver.......
>
> It is their "914" model and sells for $499 Canadian eh.
> What do you think and what do you maybe prefer more within a $200 up or
> downprice range?

I've got the 912 in my system here. It was US$249 at Costco. It is
last year's model, but Pioneer isn't really changing much on these
things from year to year so at the right price it is a good purchase.
The 912 is basically identical to the 914.

It works well and sounds good. Like most receivers in this price range,
it isn't particularly honest in its specifications, but it has
sufficient power and quality to fill your room with good sound. It's by
no means an audiophile level product, but you can plan to add at least
$1000 to the price if that's what you're looking for.

I use the 912 in much the normal way, except that I don't use its power
amps for my main left and right speakers. Instead, I feed its preamp
outputs for those two channels to a separate Bryston 4BST power amp.
The Bryston produces 250 real watts per channel, and is an extraordinary
amplifier. So my 914 really only drives the center channel and the two
rear channels. The result is that the 914 has power to spare - since
I'm driving only half of the channels, there is plenty of reserve in the
power supply.

The 914's best feature is the automatic setup procedure. It does a far
better job than you could ever do manually.

The only feature that I wish it had would be an audio delay feature.
Occasionally, I run into a broadcast with A/V sync problems, and it
would be nice to be able to adjust for that.

In summary, I consider it a good purchase. Of course, I don't let my
baby anywhere near it - she's always grabbing for the remote control,
and all that drool just isn't good for it.
February 5, 2005 1:25:54 PM

Hey Jim
Thanks a lot.
I didn't even know that Costco carried Pioneer products.
Maybe I'll check out our Canadian one and see.
Its funny, Best Buy Canada and others carrying Pioneer receivers market only
the 814 and 1014's. The 814 goes for $399 and the 1014 $699......
Later
Tec